No announcement yet.

83 1100E - tube or tubeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could fit a yz600 gearbox in a katata but just because you can doenst mean its a good thing. Stick to the labels/warnings and be safe. Too many things out there ready to kill you, why add one more. Yes people do run them tubeless, thats there choice. My boss even ran this bike tubless but i didnt ride it with that setup. (lots of silicone and duct tape)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      I think the message of that thread was if it does not say tubeless they are not.I agree with you it's very strange that Suzuki did 19s tube while the 16 and 17 on the 750 are clearly marked tubeless.
      Suzuki did a lot of strange things. My "S" DID NOT come with a seat grab rail but people say it did. I was there when the first owner brought the bike and it was still a vinyl seat when i got it later on. The 850 had one tube and one tubless rim, The XN85 after they made the XR69. Shall i rave on? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        Big thing to me is road side repair.

It's the only thing I could think of. No quick plug to get you home.

But then, 20 years of riding I have only had one flat. (knock, knock)

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
          But then, 20 years of riding I have only had one flat. (knock, knock)
          I was running Dunlaps with tubes last year when I ran over a machine screw. 12 miles from home. 10 bucks a mile for the tow truck ! I had a local guy put on Road Riders for me (10 bucks a wheel) without tubes. I had to retighten the nuts on the valve stems and now their tight as a drum .
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've got roadside assistance with my insurance. It cost extra $9 a year.

Much better then calling my wife and have her drive out with the kids in my truck

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              I think the message of that thread was if it does not say tubeless they are not.I agree with you it's very strange that Suzuki did 19s tube while the 16 and 17 on the 750 are clearly marked tubeless.
              Suzuki did not do all of the 19s tube. In the picture below the 19" on the right that is on the bike is stamped tubeless. It is originally from a 1981 GS1000G I believe. The 19" tire on the left which is from my 1980 GS850G is not stamped tubeless.

Both front and rear on my '82 1100GK are stamped tubeless. It is clear that Suzuki had full sets of tubeless rims for motorcycles before 1983. So if it wasn't tire size and it wasn't by date, what was the reasoning behind retaining the older tire technology for the most advanced model?
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                So if it wasn't tire size and it wasn't by date, what was the reasoning behind retaining the older tire technology for the most advanced model?
                Tooling for the tube type wheels were most likely already paid for.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

(Shrug)Got me.Suzuki does all sorts of things from what I've seen.You are right it does not make sense.(Shrugs again)

Comment

If you look at the fiche, the 83 GS1100E was indeed originally equipped with tubes. I have no idea why.

FWIW, the tubeless wheels found on later model shafties were made by Enkei. Did a different supplier make the 83 GS1100E wheels?

Anyway, here's the counterbore and pilot we used to convert George's front wheel. We didn't need to use it on the rear because the middle inside of the wheel was flat. On the front, it was rounded so we had to create a flat spot for the valve stem.

5/8" counterbore with 5/16" pilot, purchased from an aviation tool supplier:

Demonstrating usage on a random wheel (this wheel is actually already tubeless -- it was just handy) :

Mind you, there is an additional bead retention ridge on tubeless wheels that you may not have on tube wheels. When you seat the beads on converted wheels, there's not that loud "pop pop" -- just a couple of muffled pops or maybe a "squish" noise.

The decision to convert to tubeless is a personal one. If you don't feel you fully understand the process, benefits and risks involved, or if do understand it and you're not comfortable with it, then keep using tubes.

I know of several successful conversions, and have never heard of a failure on a converted GS. I have heard that in some countries it is actually illegal to go tubeless (unless the wheel is marked as such), and that in the event of an accident, modifications such as this can even be cause for denying insurance payments or pressing charges.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As already stated by many, the 83 1100E wheels are not stamped "tubeless". They were also NOT made by Einke (sp) but another company that I cannot recall off the top of my head but it begins with an "A". However, I've been running tubeless on my 1100ES for three plus years.. The latest front has been on for nearly two seasons (wore quite nicely... Avon venomX for anyone interested) and never once have I had a problem. Tire Unlimited installed it as well and did not question me about it, which leads me to believe at some point "tubeless applicable" stamps went away or they just don't care. Btw I didn't chamffer out my valve stem seat and dint have a leak but I may have just gotten lucky. I would suggest that if you're going to convert to tubeless however that you clean the rim quite well.

Later models (700/750/1150) had the same cast pattern but were tubeless, and I seem to remember them being Einke wheels, so maybe that's the reason.??? If you do change, I'd follow brians suggestion and keep an eye on it for a few weeks especially when the temps change ( like now) quickly durring the day. If you see no change, go back to checking it as you normally would.

Comment

My law firm, Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe, informs me that the correct answer is to run tubes.

That being said I have heard stories of certain people running tubeless tires on '83 GS1100E's for decades with no problems whatsoever. Of course, I cannot recall who those people may be and cannot confirm or deny whether the stories were actually factual or chemically induced. And I cannot confirm or deny that I have ever been in a chemically altered state of mind to have heard any chemically induced stories........
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

This discussion gives me wonder about the physics involved. If you have a sudden blowout at speed, is that small little lip going to have a marked effect on how the deflated tire carcass will behave? If so, would it not have the same effect when an inner tube deflates? Why would it not be a part of all rims? It is the same tire whether or not you put a tube in it. Does this mean that non "tubeless applicable" rims are inherently less safe than tubeless rims whether or not you use an inner tube?

Has much if any testing been done to confirm the efficacy of that lip in real world blowout scenarios? What sort of history do we have of crashes or other incidents caused by the absence of a lip on a tire rim? These things would be good to hear because the overwhelming body of empirical evidence seems to favor that there is little if any difference between the two types of rims in normal use. I simply have never heard from anyone who had a serious problem based on the design of the rim, only on the condition (cracks, casting flaws, etc.).
                          Last edited by dpep; 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Must have been to do with tooling as the 16" front on 83 750E/ES is tubeless & to that pattern (as is the 17" rear).
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This is a tubeless front wheel and there's no ridge:
                              Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                                As already stated by many, the 83 1100E wheels are not stamped "tubeless". They were also NOT made by Einke (sp) but another company that I cannot recall off the top of my head but it begins with an "A".
                                They were made by Asahi. At least that's what's stamped on mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X