Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Remove Rear Swingarm Shock Bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Remove Rear Swingarm Shock Bushings?

Hello all. I am in need of some help. I want to get my frame powder coated and the only thing holding me back is the rear shock swingarm bushings. I've managed to remove the inner bushing and the surrounding rubber, now all I'm left with is the outer sleeve pressed into the swingarm; I have eye to clevis shocks to be clear. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Theo

Are you sure that outer sleeve comes out? If it does then the best way to remove it is to jerry-rig a puller using a socket that fits that sleeve precisely and a larger socket on the other side (wide enough for the sleeve to run through). Run a bolt through the socket/sleeve/socket, pop on a nut/washer and tighten.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Are you sure that outer sleeve comes out? If it does then the best way to remove it is to jerry-rig a puller using a socket that fits that sleeve precisely and a larger socket on the other side (wide enough for the sleeve to run through). Run a bolt through the socket/sleeve/socket, pop on a nut/washer and tighten.
      No, I am not sure. Perhaps if I bought a replacement bushing I would know exactly what it looks like but I don't want to wait that long.

But I like your idea, I'll probably go that route if it indeed does come out.

Comment

Hi,
        yes you can remove the bushing, i replaced mine last yeay.I use a small press, the little press with a bottle jack.if you dont have a press a big vise and another person to hold the swingarm you should be fine.
        The part number is 09319-10008.
        marc
        https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Long bolt with a nut/washer and two sockets a la hampshiredog works perfectly. Same thing with the install but you'll need to go slowly since the bushing will want to go crooked. It was a bit of a pain to get the new ones in. Good luck.

Comment

Don't know if you have done it yet but I recently removed mine, I used one socket same diameter as the bush and another socket for the other side pref. a 12 point so the teeth of the socket wont interfere as the bush gets pushed into it...so socket either side of the bush put it in a vice and crank away, it will be tough but it will go, also be careful that the socket for the bush itself does not miss the bush and compresses the swing arm, you could crack it...

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Now check out what i was able to get done now.

A nice powder coated frame.

Comment

***Drift alert***

I want to powder coat my frame as well. The only thing holding me back is the fear of coating getting into holes that bolts need to go through, be they threaded or unthreaded. Or where the steering head bearings go too.
                Then when the frame comes back, the holes are now a smaller dia. And trying to remove the stuff in the holes could chip out onto the nice refinished surface.

How did you overcome this problem?

BTW..Those parts and frame look SWEET!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick65Cat View Post
                  ***Drift alert***

I want to powder coat my frame as well. The only thing holding me back is the fear of coating getting into holes that bolts need to go through, be they threaded or unthreaded. Or where the steering head bearings go too.
                  Then when the frame comes back, the holes are now a smaller dia. And trying to remove the stuff in the holes could chip out onto the nice refinished surface.

How did you overcome this problem?

BTW..Those parts and frame look SWEET!
                  Thanks man. Yeah I'm really stoked about the frame and how it turned out.

Regarding your question, I actually forgot to tell them where all the holes, threads, etc. that needed to be protected were. But they have experience doing frames and are obviously really good that they protected all of them. I guess the key is to find a reputable powder coater that knows what they are doing. Hope that helps.

-Theo

Comment

I can tell by the pictures you are single. By the way, what's with the plate welded to the muffler mount on the right side of the frame? Is that for a four-into-one muffler?
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                      I can tell by the pictures you are single. By the way, what's with the plate welded to the muffler mount on the right side of the frame? Is that for a four-into-one muffler?
                      That plate is where I relocated my rear master cylinder to. Something like this http://www.fabkevin.com/Remote%20Master.htm.

Comment

Working...
                      X