both wheels off at the same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

both wheels off at the same time

Hi gang. Apologies if this has been covered, but my search efforts turned up nothing. I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

Anyway, I'm getting new tires tomorrow. The shop where I'm having this done is very reasonable on labor charges if they don't have to take the wheels off. They're freaking expensive if they do. Thus, I'd like to remove the wheels myself.

I need to remove both wheels and find some way to balance the machine on the center stand while I take them to get the new rubber. The bike is in a shed with a plywood floor. I have available to me - ratchet straps, eye bolts that can be screwed in anywhere in the shed, 4 jack stands, a floor jack, the jack out of the car, and a pile of 2x4s that can be cut to whatever length I need. I do not have a motorcycle lift.

I have some ideas, but I was wondering if any of you have done something similar and would be willing to describe your methods. Thanks a bunch!

Put it on the stand & remove the rear wheel as normal. You may need to further put the centre stand on a 2x4 after it's up on the stand to gain a bit of extra height (easily done one leg at a time with two people & possible but not that easy by yourself. Tilt to side, kick 2x4 under then tilt back the other way & kick 2x4 under other leg).

Put a jack under the front end (or put an eye bolt in a strong ceiling rafter, ratchet strap around the top triple tree/fork (careful of gauges etc) & lift the front end.
    It's not much weight as most will be on the stand so you can even lift on the bottom of the engine or pipes if you're careful & use a board or something to spread the load.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

hmmm maybe im off a little on this one...but when on the center stand, isnt most of the weight on the front wheel? If so, I would think you could first
      -put bike on center stand,
      -tilt bike back onto rear wheel with a little weight(or a lazy friend/relative who can sit still) on rear of seat for ballast
      -remove front wheel
      -replace front axle into the front forks.
      -place a jack stand under the front axle(be sure its at the same height as the hole on your wheel for the axle...do side by side for comparrison)
      -carefully remove ballast off of the rear portion of the seat, and from the rear of the bike, lower the front end down sloooowly
      -once the front is on the jack stand, strap the front to the jackstand so it wont "jump" off when fiddlign with the rear wheel.
      -then take the rear wheel off.
      -the place a jack stand or support under the rear to shore that up in your absence.
      If done right and carefully, its a one man job.

Comment

You'll still need to place something under the centre stand to gain extra height otherwise you won't get the rear wheel under the fender in most cases.

Most of the weight is on the centrestand, surprisingly little on the front wheel.

I wouldn't recommend using the forks with or without axle as they can twist (i.e. steering turn) & the whole lot will come crashing down....

Charlie G posted a pic of a nice looking stand he made for lifting the front end recently, I have done the same, jacking on the cross beam at the front of the frame.
        Last edited by salty_monk; 09-21-2010, 08:45 PM.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

hmmmmm touche ....sounds like a good time for a fenderectomy....lol. but more weight is on the front as opposed to the rear, however slight it may be. Thats what i shouldve said.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            ...jacking on the cross beam at the front of the frame.
            I just lifted the front and my lovely assistant slid a jack stand under the cross beam. And that was that. Thanks, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by shiznizbiz View Post
              hmmm maybe im off a little on this one...but when on the center stand, isnt most of the weight on the front wheel? If so, I would think you could first
              -put bike on center stand,
              -tilt bike back onto rear wheel with a little weight(or a lazy friend/relative who can sit still) on rear of seat for ballast
              -remove front wheel
              -replace front axle into the front forks.
              -place a jack stand under the front axle(be sure its at the same height as the hole on your wheel for the axle...do side by side for comparrison)
              -carefully remove ballast off of the rear portion of the seat, and from the rear of the bike, lower the front end down sloooowly
              -once the front is on the jack stand, strap the front to the jackstand so it wont "jump" off when fiddlign with the rear wheel.
              -then take the rear wheel off.
              -the place a jack stand or support under the rear to shore that up in your absence.
              If done right and carefully, its a one man job.
              Darn close to how I did it..

I used a small bottle jack under the engine to tilt it back onto the rear wheel.. removed the front.. put the axle back in and dropped it into the jack stand.. with the jack stand all the way down it will put the butt in the air enough to get the rear wheel out under the fender.. Keep the bottle jack in place as a backup safety device.

Honestly it was quite stable this way..

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                Darn close to how I did it..

I used a small bottle jack under the engine to tilt it back onto the rear wheel.. removed the front.. put the axle back in and dropped it into the jack stand.. with the jack stand all the way down it will put the butt in the air enough to get the rear wheel out under the fender.. Keep the bottle jack in place as a backup safety device.

Honestly it was quite stable this way..
                Nice! looks familiar to things buddies have done.

Comment

I found that the bottle jack under the engine was a little too unsteady. since the whole bike is balanced on a tripod only a few inches wide, so I made a wide-based (upside-down T-shaped) wooden stand that fits under the upper front crossmember (where the oil cooler would mount). Very easy (when both wheels are still in place) to place the stand behind the front wheel, then lift the front of the bike until the stand fits into place under the crossmember. The wide base of the stand steadies the whole thing, and the rear wheel is close enough to the ground to ease removal.

Comment

Quite stable that way until you knock the handle bars walking past it in the garage... I've been there
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Hi,

I've done it this way. It's pretty rickety. My "Jessie" spend the night on the back porch like this.

I had the rear wheel off for a while during this wrenching session.

You could use some of your 2x4s to brace up the back end too. Also use straps to suspend both ends from the ceiling, if possible. If it's only for as long as it takes to get a couple of tires mounted, it shouldn't be any big deal as long as no one is going to mess with it, like little kids or animals.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X