Tire recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire recommendation?

I'm looking to buy some new tires for my '82 GS850GL and am looking for recommendations. I use my GS for all my driving, I have no other vehicle. I ride in light rain, but usually avoid the heavy stuff. Looking for something with a middle-ish price that will last a long time, as I usually put on ~7,000 mile/year, or more as needed. As far as weight, the 850 is pretty heavy, and i ride without passengers at 180 lbs.

Key the title to this thread into the search tab and you'll find more info on tire than you care to read.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'm running Dunlop GT501's on my '82 GS850GL.

F - 100/90-19
      R - 130/90-16

That rear 16" wheel kinda limits your selection if you wanrt to stay with the same brand front & rear...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

On the contrary, the 16" rear expands your tire choices by quite a bit.

For big mileage, the Dunlop Elite III is the winner, hands down. A mite spendy, but they last a very long time, so cost per mile is good. They work very well in the curves and in the rain. (For your bike, they come in letter sizes for some odd reason -- MM90-19 front, MT90-16 rear.)

For excellent stickiness at reasonable cost with reasonable life, the Avon AM26 RoadRider is the current gold standard.

If cheap but good is what you want, the Shinko 230 Tourmaster is a great tire for a bargain price. Reports from the field are so far excellent, although it's a fairly new design, so I don't know if the GSR Hive Mind has information yet as to longevity.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My wife's '82 850L is wearing one of the last sets of Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires that was available. We got just over 14,000 miles on the first set, so we got another.

I can vouch for the longevity and handling of the Dunlop E3s, though. I ran through three sets of them on my Wing. Two of those sets went just over 23,000 miles, the third I changed at around 21,000, but only because I was headed out for another 3-4,000 mile trip and did not want to change them on the road.

The only downside I have noted on the E3s is a bit of noise. My tires sawtoothed the tread blocks as they wore. This was NOT scalloping, each treadblock took a distinctive angle. Whenever the bike was not vertical (this includes mere lane changes), the tires would sound like Monster Mudders on a Jeep. Other than that, they were great.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with Brian and Steve. The Elite 3 for the mileage per year you are running is an excellent choice. As Steve mentioned they tend to saw tooth but other than a bit of noise they still feel great and inspire confidence when leaned over. I have both Avons and E3's on different L models and the E3 tread pattern is less affected by rain grooves than the Avons but you can't go wrong with either one. Dennis Kirk has a set of Elites for around $ 200 which for the mileage you will get out of them is a great deal IMHO.
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
              ... the E3 tread pattern is less affected by rain grooves ...
              and metal-grate bridges.

When I first got my Wing, I went over the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan. The right lane is paved, but is closed whenever they are doing bridge maintenance, forcing you onto the metal grate in the left lane. The metal grate is "only" about a mile long, so it's not much of a problem. My bike was stable enough to have just one hand on the bars while the other was holding a camera, shooting video. Oh, I was towing a trailer, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just wanted to thank all you guys for your advice, got me some E3's this week. Man did i really need new tires, the change in grip was so great that it made me sweat for the first couple miles!

Comment

Working...
                X