Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide wheels and offset sprockets, check those nuts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide wheels and offset sprockets, check those nuts.

For you guys running wider than stock wheels and offset front sprockets that are counting on Locktite to hold the nuts securely, don't trust it. I've had mine come loose three times now even when torqued down hard and with Locktite on the threads. The first time the nut was completely lost. The second time a few weeks back the nut was lying in the cavity under the countershaft cover. Then yesterday I was on the freeway in the middle lane of 5 lanes of traffic. I had to coast over to the right and off the freeway. I walked to buy a cheap socket set and when I got the cover off found the nut still on the end of the shaft. This time I did the usual as well as drilling the nut and safety wiring it to the sprocket. I'll check things again a few times to make sure the wire holds up.

The reason this is happening is when you get on and off the throttle the sprocket has a tiny bit of play between the splines and sprocket cogs. I also think over time chain lube breaks down the Locktite. This little bit of slip wrenches on the nut and pretty soon it's backing off. You may or may not have the same problem I've been having, but keep and eye on it. I know Dan and Dee are relying on Locktite to keep the nut in place. You guys pay attention, the nut could go through the crankcase, jam the drive chain, or just leave you stranded.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2010, 10:24 PM.

I have a 1/2'' offset front sprocket, i locktited it and put the locking tab washer.
    Still tight after 15000kms.
    Marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

Thanks Billy, good info, now if only my bike with the offset sprocket were road worthy...

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
        I have a 1/2'' offset front sprocket, i locktited it and put the locking tab washer.
        Still tight after 15000kms.
        Marc
        On my bike there are no splines showing with the offset sprocket so the lock washers won't work. The first time I had the nut back off was probably 7 years ago. Then a few weeks ago it happened again, then again yesterday.

Comment

Billy,

Any pics of your safety wiring job?

What Threadlock are you using? (red or blue? Brand?) Have you tried any others. Also what Chain lube as that could be a factor....

Dan
          Last edited by salty_monk; 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What's a "sprocket"?

Yeah, I know, we "shafties" have our own sets of problems, too.

(This is where you get to chime in and ask "what are splines?")

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              On my bike there are no splines showing with the offset sprocket so the lock washers won't work. The first time I had the nut back off was probably 7 years ago. Then a few weeks ago it happened again, then again yesterday.
              You might want to get another counter shaft sprocket. Mine is 3/8" offset and there is still enough spline for the lock washer to grab the spline.
              Last edited by posplayr; 09-23-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

how are you torquing it down? usually that lockwasher should be plenty, but I've also had bikes shed front sprockets and do lots of weird stuff because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                  how are you torquing it down? usually that lockwasher should be plenty, but I've also had bikes shed front sprockets and do lots of weird stuff because of it.
                  Breaker bar and blue Locktite, if I continue to have problems I may try the red. With the '83 and up 700 and 750 models once you go offset there is no room for the lockwasher on the shaft for the washer to catch the splines. I was using a Superprox with 17 teeth and 1/4" offset. I went back to my 16 tooth Vortex because the 17 was a bit much and the bike felt slightly sluggish.

I'll snap a pic of the safety wiring first chance I get. Vortex sprockets have holes drilled around them and I ran the wire through two of them then back to the hole I drilled in the nut. As long as the wire holds up the nut can't back off.

Dupont dry lube with teflon is what I'm using for lube.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I check my nuts at least hourly. I did this before switching to larger wheels...hell I did it before owning a bike.

Comment

I used Red loctite on mine & put it on with an 12v impact driver... No problems yet but I will check.

I believe Dee recommended Red (plus that's what I do with the clutch hub nuts so made sense).

Could be the solvents in the lube, could be that the blue just isn't strong enough but also could be that the heat generated in that area & on that small sprocket are too much for the blue...

Wire tie makes sense. Apart from the fact that it's hard I guess you could drill 2 small holes in any sprocket. Interested to see how you drilled the nut.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Instead of loctite. Could you not just safety wire the thing? It is usually better then loctite anyways.

Comment

Here's what I did. I just drilled next to the shaft at an angle. With my poor eyesight you can see I hit the edge of the shaft but it's not a big deal. The Vortex sprockets are already drilled so that made things easy. Just loop through two holes on the sprocket, twist, then through the nut and twist again. You want a bit of angle to the wire between the two points so it keeps the nut from turning at all. I know the nut looks like hell, but then it's been through hell. Still completely functional though.

Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Hey, whatever works! Right Billy?!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Hey, whatever works! Right Billy?!!! Ray.
                              Yeah, it may not be pretty but it beats having to coast off the freeway.

Comment

Working...
                              X