Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide wheels and offset sprockets, check those nuts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next best step might be drilling both the nut and the spline and running a lynchpin through it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      The next best step might be drilling both the nut and the spline and running a lynchpin through it?
      I considered that, for now I'll see if the wire holds up.

Comment

I'm still using the stock lockwasher on mine, i had the sprocket machined down in the center, just a little bit more than the washer diameter. I run a 16 tooth also, i tried a 17 and didn't like it too.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
          I'm still using the stock lockwasher on mine, i had the sprocket machined down in the center, just a little bit more than the washer diameter. I run a 16 tooth also, i tried a 17 and didn't like it too.
          Having the sprocket machined is something I'm considering if the wire doesn't hold up. As long as the wire doesn't fatigue and break then I'll just live with it.

Comment

My sprocket has two threaded holes in it from memory..... Reckon I could probably fashion some kind of locking tab using one of them although I'd still be relying on a thread.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              My sprocket has two threaded holes in it from memory..... Reckon I could probably fashion some kind of locking tab using one of them although I'd still be relying on a thread.
              That would work Dan. It would do the same thing as my wire is doing. The fact that the sprocket is on the spline would keep the nut from turning. It might loosen a degree or two but it's not going anywhere.

Comment

castle nuts

Comment

That would involve drilling the shaft as well... not sure that's an easy thing to do with it in the bike! Probably hardened too.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    That would involve drilling the shaft as well... not sure that's an easy thing to do with it in the bike! Probably hardened too.
                    And not all sprockets are the same thickness in the center. The hole may not line up if you switch brands.

Comment

Working...
                    X