I searched, didn't find...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I searched, didn't find...

Anyone put a front end from the 37mm 750, 850, or larger on their gs550?

Triple tree a direct bolt up?

I thought it was, would just like to make sure before I buy a new front end.

the 750 forks are 35mm.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

gs750 katana and one other 750 had 37mm forks.

That isn't the question.

Is the stem from the GS triple trees that take 37mm forks a direct swap to a gs550 frame?

Comment

OK, the earlier 750s were 35, later must be 37. Yours must be the later style? If you have the later 550 frame, it might even use tapered roller bearings? The early ones used the loose balls on both the 550 and 750. You might want to be more specific about years and models.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The frame is an 80 gs550.

I need new forks, as mine have a bit of rust that eats fork seals.

I figured, why not upgrade the front end? So, I figured one or more of the front ends off of the larger bikes might be a reasonable swap.

I would like to use the triple trees and forks off of a GS model that uses 37mm forks.

My question is, does anyone know which models of GS's front ends with 37mm forks are pretty much a direct swap? Since I'd be changing the bearings to tapered rollers anyway, it doesn't matter if they have those or not.

Comment

I don't know the answer you seek but a check of Basscliff's website reveals that the steering head utilizes the same bearings for many larger Suzukis, check it out yourself.

This doesn't mean they will direct swap since the length of stem may be different. However it does mean that they may be able to be modified to work fairly simply.

I may be able to answer this myself since I happen to have a 650 g triple clamp and a 1100 g triple. Obviously, the 1100g uses the larger 37mm forks while the 650 is 35 for sure. I could measure stem length if you think it may help. I may be able to measure my 550L length roughly from outside also.

From Basscliff site I also pulled this pdf on fork diameters.

Comment

Thanks Waterman. The stems probably are different lengths, but that doesn't mean they won't fit. I've fit a few larger SOHC4 honda triples to smaller hondas with shorter necks.

If you wouldn't mind looking at the length and width differences between the two, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Comment

I went and measured, now I know.

You maybe in luck. It seems that all 3 of my gs' have the same length for steering head around 7 and 3/8 inch. Sorry my verniers are only 6 inch in length. I am guessing around 185mm in total length.

It seems that the 650g has 140mm between fork tubes so 140 + 35mm equals 175 center to center.

The 1100g is 148mm between--148 + 37mm forks = 185mm

82 550L is 150mm between--150 + 35 = 185mm.

Hope it can help.

Comment

That sure does help, I'll be going for 1100g forks then

Thanks very much!

Comment

Originally posted by mlinder View Post
                    That sure does help, I'll be going for 1100g forks then

Thanks very much!
                    Go for 1100E forks (82-83) Damping and preload adjustment, anti-dive... Good stuff for the time. Tuneability is nice..

Comment

Working...
                    X