When to replace? Date codes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to replace? Date codes.

In reading the welcome stuff from Cliff it's highly suggested to go by date code and not look of the rubber when it comes to tires. However, I don't recall seeing what age a good tire would be. I tried searching here with the terms 'date code' but didn't come up with much. Might be a good sticky somewhere for us newbies.

Anyhow, In my case...
    Front Avon 4202 (oct 02)
    Read Shin Cheng 3400 (August 00') - no longer imported

I'm guessing that 8 to 10 years is NOT suggested so I'm going to look for a new set of tires but what IS an acceptable age?

Thanks.

Stored indoors in a dry cool climate?
    I'll go five years if they look good and the rubber is not hardened, and if I bought the tires. If they were on there when I bought it, they are coming off right away no matter how good they look, as I don't know if they have been damaged, run with inadequate air pressure, or whatever else a PO can do to a tire. Handling will suffer on tires only a few years old, there is some loss of traction right away, not sure how much. Stored outdoors, in the sun or high humidity? You are on your own, but think of this, the improvement in handling and traction from fresh new tires is incredible, the best bang for the buck performance mod there is.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

a couple of years, 2-3 then replace even if they don't need it. It's cheap insurance really. A bad tire can do all sorts of nasty stuff which all ends with the same undesired results. Any trip to the ER will be WAY more than a set of tires. Plus the cost of repairs to be bike if it is repairable...

Comment

Hi,

I can't quote any hard and fast evidence or studies. I just like riding around on tires that are less than 4 years old. If a bike has been parked outside for 2 years then I'd replace the tires no matter the date code.

Back when Firestone tires were in the news and Ford Broncos were flipping over left and right, some government safety agency said that tires should be no more than 6 years old. But I'd have to do some research to verify my memory of the situation. Of course, motorcycle tires are WAY more important than car tires.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Stored indoors in a dry cool climate?
          I'll go five years if they look good and the rubber is not hardened, and if I bought the tires. If they were on there when I bought it, they are coming off right away no matter how good they look, as I don't know if they have been damaged, run with inadequate air pressure, or whatever else a PO can do to a tire. Handling will suffer on tires only a few years old, there is some loss of traction right away, not sure how much. Stored outdoors, in the sun or high humidity? You are on your own, but think of this, the improvement in handling and traction from fresh new tires is incredible, the best bang for the buck performance mod there is.
          most riders I know do this also, if they didnt buy the tires they replace em.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post
            ... I'm going to look for a new set of tires but what IS an acceptable age?
            I have seen various numbers ranging from three years, if you don't know the history to seven years if you do.

I had some very old brand-new tires on "Junior" when I got him a few months ago. I forget the date codes, but I seem to remember they were 7 or 8 years old. I happen to know that the bike has been inside the entire time, so I took a chance when I rode the bike to the Red River Rally in July, put on about a thousand miles (finally got the molding tips worn off the center of the tread ). Last month, my son rode the bike on the first Roo Rally for another thousand or so miles.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tires that are kept cool and dry and away from oil, ozone and UV (sunlight) will last a very long time, as in decades. Hardening of rubber and cracking are chemical processes. They require oxygen or other chemicals to react with or soften the rubber, and/or UV light. When I worked for Firestone, they'd turn up tractor or fire truck tires that had been in service for several decades.

I personally would never change out any tire only because of age, until it got to be at least 10 years old. I would change it out for

> not knowing if it had been abused (previous owner, as stated above)
              > rubber getting hard (exposure to sun, petroleum products, ozone)
              > non-uniform wear
              > not enough tread
              > sidewall cuts, cracks or crazing of the rubber
              > anything exposing cords
              > deteriorating handling

FWIW, one of my jobs was to diagnose causes of tire failure.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

personally, regardless of how/where they're kept, or history, any more than 5 years, REPLACE. its what? $200-300 for a set of decent rubber? thats inexpensive for the knowledge your tires are going to grip when its needed rather than slip and send you to the ER, or worse.

Comment

Working...
                X