Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

find a set of madura wheels

Hi,
    i found a set of madura 1200 wheels, thanks Normand.I will put them on my 1000L.I will take pics and keep you posted.
    Marc
    Last edited by kochic; 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM.
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Look forward to some pictures of this. Is there any benefits to doing this swap other that appearance?

Comment

There is a small group of guys here that would like the look of wire wheels for their shafties.

Must be all for looks, because I can't think of any performance-related reason to use them.
      At least not one that would make sense on a shaft-driven bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Marc,
        You have done a good thing by finding uses of parts from the uglest motorcycle suzuki ever made. Hope it enhances the L
        Look forward to seeing the pics
        Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-31-2010, 03:30 PM.
        Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          There is a small group of guys here that would like the look of wire wheels for their shafties.

Must be all for looks, because I can't think of any performance-related reason to use them.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Comment

Every single Madura I've looked at...and I looked at a lot because I was looking for one a few years back....had very very rusty spokes. I can't think of any good reason for this idea.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Spokes wheels can be lighter. Spokes wheels can be stronger.
              Spoke wheels let you change rim size.
              Good enough for me.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The set i found is rust free.i will put the wheels on the L mostly for the look and the rear already has a good tire on it.i have not made any progress except to change the rear plain rotor by a front GS slotted rotor.
                i saw people asking in the forum about spoke wheels on a shaftdrive and ''all'' answers are quite vague.
                I found a nice set with the rotors cheap, so i have them i might as well use them.
                This will be a small winter project.
                Marc
                right now the bike look like this, just think spokes wheels and a new paint.The L is already a strange looking biike in stock form, like a GV1200.
                https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Originally posted by Steve View Post

Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
                  My point exactly.

The only reason I have been able to come up with is for looks, although reducing unsprung weight is good for ANY vehicle.

It's bad enough trying to keep the cast wheels looking decent, I can't (or would rather not) imagine trying to keep a set of spokes looking decent. On the plus side, there is no chain grime to deal with, but then you have to fiddle with the spokes every once in a while to keep the wheel round and true.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                    Marc,
                    You have done a good thing by finding uses of parts from the uglest motorcycle suzuki ever made. Hope it enhances the L
                    Look forward to seeing the pics
                    What can I tell you? Some people like ugly duckings LOL!

Marc's wheels came from this bike.

Last edited by quexpress; 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM.
                    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                    s)

Comment

Spokes

Looking foward too seeing how this turns out. I like the look of spokes.
                      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                        What can I tell you? Some people like ugly duckings LOL!

Marc's wheels came from this bike.

Oh, wow.....that makes a Ducati Indiana look nice. Ouch. Do love the color though.

Comment

Let us know what modifications you have to do to make them fit!!

Comment

That's the best looking one I've seen. I've test ridden three in the past and they are very comfy and fast bikes. I still wouldn't mind having one.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I know its been a long time, i have not worked on this bike for at least a year.
                              I will put it on the lift today and post progress later.
                              marc
                              1978 GS1000C X2
                              1978 GS1000E X2
                              1979 GS1000S
                              1979 gs1000
                              1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
                              X