Shinko Tour master tires review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko Tour master tires review

I ordered a matching set months ago for my 82 650G. Sizes are Frt: 110/90V19 and Rear: 130/90V17. I have to say that these tires are outstanding. Great traction on roads, decent grip on wet roads as well. On the grooved/metal grates, the front tends to follow the lines. I had to lock up the rear brake once at 45mph and the rear tire skidded & wobbled just a little bit. I'll def. be buyin another set for my 650 when the time comes.

Nice to hear about the tires, but why did you "have to lock up the rear"?

I can think of very few circumstances that require the locking of brakes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I can think of two, testing the anti lock system, and swinging the ass end out to change lanes when filtering at high speed through stopped traffic. Saw a moto-courier do this in Dublin, twice. On a K100RS no less. Very skillful.
      Maybe a third, ruining a worn out tire so I have to get around to changing it, but that's more entertaining with a few big burnouts.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is that the 230 Tour Master? Put a set on one of my bikes and they seem to be a great value for the money. BTW, a 110 is pretty wide for the stock 1.85 rim. Some people do it of course, like you, but conventional GSR wisdom is to use a 100 front.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Fun, fun, fun

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Nice to hear about the tires, but why did you "have to lock up the rear"?

Don't forget the 'fun factor', Steve.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Actually, it was an OH Sh!t moment. I almost missed my turn cuz I was paying attention to something else.

Comment

how long do the shinko's last though

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                Actually, it was an OH Sh!t moment. I almost missed my turn cuz I was paying attention to something else.
                Should have hit the front brake, too. Stops much quicker that way.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The only time you should lock up the rear is when you are in loose gravel, sand, wet grass or snow. Any other time the fun factor is just too low for the trouble. Except for any time an officer of the law is around, they really appreciate the sound of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                    how long do the shinko's last though

I'm not really sure since they've only been installed for 4 months. The Yokohama Tire company owns Shinko so that was also a good selling point for me. I've got a set of Yokohama Avid T4 tires on my 98 S10. I've had those for 3 years now and they still have great tread.

Comment

Again another HAPPY Shinko owner!! I've had mine on for about a year now with about 1k miles I guess and I have to say I Trust/Enjoy/Like them. Iv'e mentioned awhile back about riding in 34-6 deg rainy leaf pepper weather and even some LIGHT snow and was impressed. After a recent clutch spring install I tried out the smoke test and it passed !! LOL First time I really got them real hot/sticky and had twigs/pebbles/leafs stuck to them when I parked it.. great price for a quality tire, and as much as people ride out here in N.H. (S.D. Native transplant myself) they are a bargin.

Comment

Is there anyone who rides REALLY HARD and has used both tires that can compare them to the Road Riders? Traction and handling only, I couldn't care less how long they last.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is great news, since I just installed a pair of Shinkos. I will say, that since I mounted them, the roads have been wet almost every morning, and the bike feels very much better than the old, dry, and worn out Continentals.......

Comment

Some bum reviews for Shinko's

The one bad thing that cropped up in 2 reviews of Shinko 712 and 230 tires. Some people have gotten front tires that were out of round, and impossible to balance.
                            Myself, I'm looking for cheap performance tires I can still fully trust through corners.
                            Bill
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Is there anyone who rides REALLY HARD and has used both tires that can compare them to the Road Riders? Traction and handling only, I couldn't care less how long they last.
                              To be fair, they are products offered at two different price points...roughly $66 Shinko vs $105 for the Avon RR rear tire. Never used the Shinko (do plan on trying them), but they seem to be the new Cheng Shins, in terms of decent performance and great value/mileage. The Pirellis Sport Demon at $115, would be a better comparison, esp. since longevity isn't a factor.
                              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X