GS 550 rear disc on a GS 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 rear disc on a GS 450?

Another forum member is parting out a 1980 GS 550 with a rear disc brake setup. I want to find out if it will fit onto my 1981 GS 450 swing arm? Or would the whole swing arm and wheel have to be swapped over? What about mounting the master cylinder etc? Or is this just crazy and I should be happy with what I have?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM. Reason: premature click

I gotta say it might be overkill. I used to lock up the rear drum brake on my GSX250 pretty easily and I wouldn't mind if the rear disk on my 750 had a little less bite...
    1979 GS750E

Comment

Hi,

Are you hoping to replace a rear drum brake with a rear disk brake? I suppose it's possible but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
        I gotta say it might be overkill. I used to lock up the rear drum brake on my GSX250 pretty easily and I wouldn't mind if the rear disk on my 750 had a little less bite...
        +1 with COADY, I have the drum brake on my 550 and likewise have no trouble locking it up if I stand on the brake lever. I find it works better in the wet than a rear disc setup. Besides you would have to change the wheel as well. OVERKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X