Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me how to remove my foot brake pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me how to remove my foot brake pedal?

The manual seems to show a different brake than what gets install on the GS1100EZ. Most photos I see have a brake pedal which has some sort of hex set screw but I don't think mine does (or I haven't been looking hard enough).

Here's a photo of the brake pedal. Which runs under the foot rest and just has a rounded end which fits into the frame. (I'm not certain how the footrest is bolted in either but it looks like it would have to be from behind as well).

Here's view from underneath.

Could this screw release the entire brake arm from the frame or should I be looking from the other direction to see if there's a nut on the back of the pedal itself?

Thanks.

Remove the screw completely and the arm should slide off.

This is an awesome thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
      Remove the screw completely and the arm should slide off.
      Yes, this is correct.

As far as removing the footpegs, if you ever need to, there are plastic plugs in the end of the bolt heads, (see picture).
      Remove those and use an allen head wrench, they just unscrew from the frame.
      Nothing on the back side.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

This is an awesome thread.
        The only reason this is an awesome thread would be because YOU told me what needed to be done.

I did losen the screw but the pedal does take a bunch of 'working' to be removed. Since I was confident that I head the right screw loosened, I wasn't scared to grab out the screw driver and try to slowly wedge the pedal out against the frame.

Looks like my exhaust pipe is still not going to clear the foot rest though. I might be able to turn it upside down and flip the spring it's attached to. What would you know, thoe little black pieces ARE plastic covers. :-)

I removed them without too much damage but I don't have a hex key anywhere near that large.

Anyone have an idea what size the hex bolt is? Looks like I'm gonna have to run out to the hardware store on that one.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post
          I did losen the screw but the pedal does take a bunch of 'working' to be removed. Since I was confident that I head the right screw loosened, I wasn't scared to grab out the screw driver and try to slowly wedge the pedal out against the frame.
          You need to completely remove the bolt to release the arm from the pedal...as it rides in a groove on the brake lever shaft.
          Just like on a shift lever, if you've ever done that.

Anyone have an idea what size the hex bolt is?
          I don't know off hand, but I can check when I get home.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I’m just in awe that Bob took the picture of your bike and added the red arrows and re-posted it…………he is a technically-proficient dude.
            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Most likely 5 or 6mm. Do yourself a favor and go to sears. Buy this:

Ball end, and metric of course. You'll use them all the time. The cheaper sets are $10-15, they should be fine.

Comment

Most likely 5 or 6mm. ...
                Would you believe that it's even more likely that they are 8mm?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

according the the parts fiche it's a M8x25mm

the rear brake lever bits are listed with the center stand parts..

Comment

I dont think the size of the thread has anything to do with the size of wrench. Could be different with allen bolts over hex nuts.

Comment

Most likely 5 or 6mm. Do yourself a favor and go to sears. Buy this:

Ball end, and metric of course. You'll use them all the time. The cheaper sets are $10-15, they should be fine.
                      I bought a set of cheap T handled metric allens for $5 on sale from Harbor Freight that haven't let me done yet. My guess is 6 or 8mm for size.

Comment

Confirmed. 8mm hex.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                          I bought a set of cheap T handled metric allens for $5 on sale from Harbor Freight that haven't let me done yet. My guess is 6 or 8mm for size.
                          FYI, I'm a big, big fan of Harbor Freight, but their t-handle and L-handle allens will indeed let you down at the worst possible times in the worst possible ways, especially in the smaller sizes.

This is one place where it's well worth the few extra $$ for better quality (Craftsman -- not the cheapo Sears brand -- or Kobalt, Allen, etc.) -- they'll fit tighter, rip up the fasteners less, and they won't break or strip when the going gets rough.

I have had good luck with HF's allen/hex socket bits, though.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post
                            Confirmed. 8mm hex.
                            ****. I owe Steve a beer.

Comment

Working...
                            X