eBay Stainless Steel brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay Stainless Steel brake lines

I have found myself in need of a couple sets of brake lines for my 650 and 1100 that I am renovating. I am aware that I could build my own for roughly $60 (+ shipping) a set of two lines as per the homemade instructions but have seen on eBay where I could purchase a set assembled for $55 to my door. If I would buy 4 lines, I could do both bikes for $95, obviously more savings.

Has anyone used this company or their products? How do you like them?

Likewise, for those that have gone from a 3 line front to a 2 line set up, did you end up with a 90 degree offset in the banjo fittings? This is not the angle of the banjo but their orientation to each other.

When you build your own you can get the lengths just right, instead of estimating when ordering pre made. Also, those lines from ebay have long banjos which makes routing the lines more critical near their attachment points. Keep this in mind when deciding how you are going to route them.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I used them

Turned out good for me.Did order the rear one inch to long.Actually I measured the 85 hose,the 85 GS750's have a longer swingarm than the 83 one I put on my 85.Just figured out what was wrong
      Ask them to send you the fine thread banjos to,I got some great looking ones with coarse threads,pretty useless unfortunately.

Comment

I have bought the long two line set from an ebay store called Venhill. I think it is in England but they posted to Australia all up for less then $100. Liked the first set so I recently bought a second set for one of the other 1150's I have. Bought the stainless ones and happy with them.

Comment

I've used those guys. Works perfectly fine for me. In order to get the length, I ran a string along the old brake line and then measured it. I added a couple inches just to make sure it would thread through everything properly. I deleted the block that used to be in the middle of the front brake line since I was switching to the ss lines.

Have been using it for a few months now, with no problems at all. I'd definitely recommend them, especially since it saves a little money and time.

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post
            I've used those guys. Works perfectly fine for me. In order to get the length, I ran a string along the old brake line and then measured it. I added a couple inches just to make sure it would thread through everything properly. I deleted the block that used to be in the middle of the front brake line since I was switching to the ss lines.

Have been using it for a few months now, with no problems at all. I'd definitely recommend them, especially since it saves a little money and time.
            Did you buy with the 90 degree offset between fittings?

I can use the string on my 650, but my 1100 is without the correct lines since it had a different suspension than stock. I have a piece of 5/16 fuel hose that I am using to measure with.

Did you find that the line to the left caliper is about an inch longer than right lever side? I am coming up with about 40 and 41 inches for my 1100.

Thanks for the feedback. Will most likely go this route unless I can find a cheaper supplier for the banjo fittings, I have enough bikes I could almost justify buying in bulk. I wonder if Robert Barr got started this way.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              I used them

Turned out good for me.Did order the rear one inch to long.Actually I measured the 85 hose,the 85 GS750's have a longer swingarm than the 83 one I put on my 85.Just figured out what was wrong
              Ask them to send you the fine thread banjos to,I got some great looking ones with coarse threads,pretty useless unfortunately.
              Hats off to you for a pictorial reply, very well done.

Is that the 10 degree bend on the banjo fittings used on the calipers? With a straight section used at the 3 way coupler? Did you use a straight section or angled at the master cylinder? Just want to get this right, you know measure twice cut once type thing. Thanks again.

Comment

I used them on my 1100E and plan on using them on the kat i am building now.They are local to me so i just picked them up.They are made by a company called apex in Scarb/Ont and appear to be very good quality for the price

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                  Hats off to you for a pictorial reply, very well done.

Is that the 10 degree bend on the banjo fittings used on the calipers? With a straight section used at the 3 way coupler? Did you use a straight section or angled at the master cylinder? Just want to get this right, you know measure twice cut once type thing. Thanks again.
                  The caliper banjos are 10 degrees and the rest are straight.As for the pictures i love posting them.It also makes it easier to see what you are saying,the old saw of a picture being worth a thousand words has some truth.

Comment

hey guys i was wondering why you use the little triple thing that connects all the brake lines near the headlight, instead of just running 2 long lines directly connected from the caliper to the master cyclinder?
                    John 3:16

Comment

On my part it's a personal preference.2 lines work just as well but I like the look of 1 line off the master.

Comment

I know this is an old thread and all.. but I'm going through this on my 81 750E. Can you tell me, how did 40 and 41 inches work for the 2 front line implementation. I'm probably being too generous but when I used a string I came up with 40 and 43 and change, so I said 40 and 44, figuring I can string it closer to the bottom of the triple-tree and add a second clamp there if needs be...

Thoughts?

(no, I'm not making my own lines, I don't care how great or wonderful or accurate it is. Yes, I could, no, I'm not. )

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                        Did you buy with the 90 degree offset between fittings?

I can use the string on my 650, but my 1100 is without the correct lines since it had a different suspension than stock. I have a piece of 5/16 fuel hose that I am using to measure with.

Did you find that the line to the left caliper is about an inch longer than right lever side? I am coming up with about 40 and 41 inches for my 1100.

Thanks for the feedback. Will most likely go this route unless I can find a cheaper supplier for the banjo fittings, I have enough bikes I could almost justify buying in bulk. I wonder if Robert Barr got started this way.

Comment

Working...
                        X