Updgardinr 1100ES Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updgardinr 1100ES Brakes

Having a nice 4 day weekend, I decided to get started on my brake upgrade.
    Here's where I'm at so far.
    The rotors have a much larger center hole than the hubs on my wheel. Plus I needed to move the rotor out about 1/8" (or 3mm if you prefer).
    Wheel is a 16 incher from an '85 750ES.
    So I needed to machine a pair of adapters.

Looking good so far.

I also made a pair of cover plates so I can sandwich the rotor since I will also have to put a six bolt hole pattern to match the wheel.
    Four piston Brembos + 310mm rotors.
    And yes I still need to make adapters to mount the calipers to the forks.
    Last edited by Greg B; 11-27-2010, 11:35 AM.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Im in the middle of the same upgrade to my 1000G, im making the caliper brackets at the moment.
    I look forward to seeing your results.

Comment

What Bike
      What rotors
      What calipers

Looks like a cool upgrade

Comment

I guess you are asking Greg, since its his thread and all, but i will tell you what i have.
        Same Calipers, mine are off a RS250 Aprillia, so are the rotors i am using, they are different to Gregs, and i am using a radial master cylinder.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        What Bike
        What rotors
        What calipers

Looks like a cool upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
          I guess you are asking Greg, since its his thread and all, but i will tell you what i have.
          Same Calipers, mine are off a RS250 Aprillia, so are the rotors i am using, they are different to Gregs, and i am using a radial master cylinder.
          What bike? Are you going to post pics?

I found this............

The front brakes of the RS 250 are Brembo dual 298 mm discs with Brembo Oro four-piston calipers. The rear brake is a single 220 mm disc with a Brembo twin-piston caliper.
          The front & rear rims are lightweight, 5 spokes, cast aluminum rims are 3.50x17 up front (3.0x17 on the older models) and 4.50x17 out back that require tires of 120/60x17 and 150/60x17, respectively.
          Last edited by posplayr; 11-26-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The guy I got the rotors from said they were Brembos, but there is no part # by which to verify. But I can't see any reason to doubt him.
            The calipers I picked on CL for $75 for the pair. So major score there.
            The wheel is from a 750ES, and is going on my '83 GS1100ES. Bye bye 19" front wheel.
            Ought to quicken the steering up a bit. Using the whole 750 front end, with clip-ons from a Honda NS400R. Not a lot of difference in weight between the 1100 & 750. Plus the 750 forks are longer & will help make up the difference in wheel sizes.
            Last edited by Greg B; 11-28-2010, 03:38 AM.
            The Three Horsemen
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Sorry for the thread Hijack Greg.
              Here is a pic, the bike is a 80 GS1000G

I dont think that bracket would hold long though.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              What bike? Are you going to post pics?

I found this............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aprilia_RS250

Comment

Is that wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
                  The guy I got the rotors from said they were Brembos, but there is no part # by wich to verify. But I can't see any reason to doubt him.
                  The calipers I picked on CL for $75 for the pair. So major score there.
                  The wheel is from a 750ES, and is going on my '83 GS1100ES. Bye bye 19" front wheel.
                  Ought to quicken the steering up a bit. Using the whole 750 front end, with clip-ons from a Honda NS400R. Not a lot of difference in weight between the 1100 & 750. Plus the 750 forks are longer & will help make up the difference in wheel sizes.
                  Sounds like a good project, will it muck up the geometry a bit?

Yes Jwhelan, thats wood i wanted to get a rough idea on shape before i started cutting the alloy.

Comment

Since the 750 forks are longer than the 1100 forks, & with the clip-ons mounted above the triple clamps, I end up losing about 1/2" of ride height. That's with Progressive springs with 1.25" long spacer. So I don't think it will be too twitchy. But I do plan on installing a steering damper as well.
                    The Three Horsemen
                    '83 GS1100ES
                    ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

A Little Farther Along, More Photos

I needed to face the backside of my spacer parallel to the side that the rotor mounts against.
                      Used the same piece of material to make a fixture to hold the parts on the lathe.

Drilled and countersunk holes, bolted to the fixture. these holes will be opened up later for the rotor bolts. Fixture was faced previously so that the it ran true.

Machining the spacer to size. When finished, they measured dead parallel.
                      Last edited by Greg B; 12-09-2010, 11:05 AM.
                      The Three Horsemen
                      '83 GS1100ES
                      ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

More Photos

Setting up the rotors to put the new hole pattern in them.

Indicating the center hole.

Drilling & reaming the new holes.

Back on the bike.

Now I need to design & machine the caliper brackets.
                        I think I'm going to need to make a nice fork brace also.
                        After all the parts are done, I'll have them all hard anodized black.
                        More photos soon. I hope.
                        The Three Horsemen
                        '83 GS1100ES
                        ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

NICE bike! I like those ESs! Ray.

Comment

Test fitting

A bit overkill, perhaps, but it makes me feel better.

Pretty happy with how they turned out. (At least the second time. Sometimes you gotta start cutting to see how it all goes together)
                            I neglected to take photos while I was making these, but oh well. And yes, I am well aware that the bleed screw points straight back. but I'll deal with it.

I did make a little video of one of the operations. Sorry, it's a little boring. And sorry for the jerky camera work.
                            Last edited by Greg B; 01-25-2011, 02:15 AM.
                            The Three Horsemen
                            '83 GS1100ES
                            ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

I like the way your hanger brackets sandwich the fork lugs instead of just bolting through the lugs. It should be much stronger that way? Anything difficult about making them work that way? All the lugs the same & in the same places on both sides or did you have to do any special machining to get them to work this way? Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X