front brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake question

I'm planning on changing out my front brake lines and I noticed that there's no diapghram or o-ring in my master cylinder. It's also leaking through the brake handle and only applys pressure when at 50% pull.
    Obviously I've gotta fix this but does it matter what master cylinder I buy as long as I get the right fittings for the new brake line?
    I also want to get new calipers because it takes a while to stop with the tiny ones that are on it. Are there different bikes I can salvage some bigger brakes from?
    All this is for an 81 gs250t.
    Thanks for any input, I appologise if its up on the forum somewhere already but I have a hard time with this phone internet.

before upgrading, get rebuild kits for the calipers, and master cylinders. you'd be astounded at how much difference fresh fluid and rebuilt master cylinders can make for a brake system.

Comment

Brakes

Yes, rebuilding everythign does wonders. But maybe, you could use a GSXR master instead? Or a 6-piston caliper? Sometimes, the master could be damaged beyond help and it's easier to replace it.
      Laters
      G
      sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
      2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
      Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll try to rebuild the master and replace the brake lines first. Does a rebuild kit come with the gasket and diaphram that go in the cap, or is that seperate?

Comment

Mine didn't but ask the parts desk when you go in.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

a good rebuild kit will come with everythng that was installed from the factory.

Comment

Working...
            X