Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winding clicking noise from front tire?

Ok,

So I was riding my bike yesterday and just started to notice that when the bike rolls there is a winding clicking noise. Not horrible but similiar to a when a ball joint is going out on a car. Im not noticing much of a ride difference but easy fix or nightmare?

Second, I had my rear brake lock up alittle bit ago. So i took off all the rear brake components...dont really know where to start any help with that would be cool. I do need new pads but I know it wouldnt lock up from that solely. Like I said though I took the caliper off and disconnected all the lines and everything so the pedal isnt hooked to anything and the master cylinder and resoivor and caliper are in a baggy.

thanks
    -alex
    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM.

Brake system... clean thoroughly, replace lines with new, new piston seals etc. You may also need to replace pistons too.

The click is probably either from the speedo drive, wheel bearings or brakes... go investigate
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Brake system... clean thoroughly, replace lines with new, new piston seals etc. You may also need to replace pistons too.

The click is probably either from the speedo drive, wheel bearings or brakes... go investigate
      I think its from the wheel bearing, is there a way to tell if its the speedo drive or wheel bearing?

also is it easier to replace the brake system rather than rebuild? if I rebuild any places you recommend buying the parts from? the local shop can order a rebuild kit for the caliper but that alone is 300ish bucks...so I was hoping something cheaper might be floating around.

Comment

Take the speedo drive and see if the noise goes away?

$300 for a caliper rebuild? Someone is blowing smoke up your a$$; my pistons and seals cost no more than $25 if I remember correctly but I can look. You're not replacing the caliper just the pistons, seals, and cleaning everything up.

Also, if your rear brake locked up than you had air in the lines. Might want to clean everything up and bleed the master cylinder and lines real good.

Edit: BTW, add what kind of bike this is in your signature so you can get better help
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Its a 1979 gs850g

Um ya I kinda made a stupid in asking about the speedo. if it turns out to be the wheel bearing is that an easy fix I can do?

is there an online site that carries the parts Ill need? the one and only local shop is saying all they have for a gs850g that and all they can get is the rebuild kit for the caliper. He suggested cleaning it as the fluid can crystalize or turn to rubber and that might be to blame.

Also in bleeding the brakes mine has 2 bleeder valves...um ya this is new to me lol.

Comment

Plenty of places... www.z1enterprises.com is good for aftermarket parts.

www.bikebandit.com is good for OEM parts, there are cheaper places but Bikebandit is the quickest. Alpha sports, Partshark etc also do OEM parts.

Cliff will be along with your intro soon that'll give you all the links but you can look here... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Great bike you have there, real work horse. The front noise would either be the front wheel bearings or the speedo drive. Best to take off the front wheel (real easy) and inspect everything). The speedo drive should turn easily and the inner tabs should not be bent. The bearing should just do what bearing should do. Bearings are supper cheap, most local dealers have them or a bearing shop. Difficult to take out and put in, best to let a shop do it if you don't have the right tools and experience (don't want to bugger your rim). You've got some good suggestions about the rear brake. Clean everything up, inspect all your lines, put it back together and bleed it out a couple of times. You have two bleeders on the rear, bleed them both. The first one you do will do most of the bleeding the second one will just be a bit. Won"t take you long and well worth the effort, could save you $$$.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you are nervous about changing the bearings the hard way get the tool from Pit Posse... 50 bucks & worth it's weight in gold. Bearings come out in 2 secs with that thing & you'd pay the shop best part of that to do it for you.

Dan

http://pitposse.com/whbereset.html - ok $42!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

awesome ill definently look into those tools. I would much rather do this all myself but have never really done much to any gs's and beyond them ive owned and modified a ton of kz440's which have all be chain/belt rear "drum" break bikes so Im kinda venturing into new territory lol but thanks a ton for all the help. means a lot.

ok so Ive been looking at parts and it is super cheap which is awesome. But I was told its best to replace the pistons and I cant find one on either of those sites?
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Here's what happened when I tried to do my own front bearings (the difficult way). Wound up damaging the aluminum hub, thought it would be ok.....wrong. Speedo drive jumped out of its groves and the rest is history.
                    Rob
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Here's what happened when I tried to do my own front bearings (the difficult way). Wound up damaging the aluminum hub, thought it would be ok.....wrong. Speedo drive jumped out of its groves and the rest is history.
                      so I should pay someone to do it? or buy the tool?

Comment

If your even the slightest mechanically inclinded buy the tool. It will save you loads of money in the end. It's a simple repair to do when you have the tool and there's nothing better than getting a new tool.
                        Rob

Comment

Hi Mr. silent_soul,

Rebuilding the brake system is easy. You need new pistons, seals, master cylinder kits, new fluid, etc. Pistons and other parts are available from any online OEM parts vendor. There are plenty listed in the "mega-welcome". Shop around a little for the best overall prices.

You received your "mega-welcome" in THIS THREAD. But just in case you missed it, a lot of questions can be answered by reading the links below...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

You'll find "how-to" guides for brake caliper overhaul, wheel bearing replacement, etc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

As far as the rear brake rebuild goes, just go to your local or online Suzuki dealer and order

the piston set for the rear caliper. It has pistons, seals and that O ring between the halves, about $75, everything you need

Take off the rear caliper (three bolts) take it apart (two bolts), clean, reassemble and reinstall

Bleed with fresh fluid (check the master cylinder reservoir for crud also)

Don't use their parts guy, he can't read a fische. The entire caliper (NLA) is $355

He is correct in that you have a combination of old, hard seals, possibly corroded pistons and mystery fluid in the caliper. I did mine last spring and there was water and crystalized gunk inside
                            Last edited by Big T; 12-09-2010, 05:17 PM.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                            X