Budget build - need new rear shocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget build - need new rear shocks...

Well, folks, I'm new(er) to the forum and I'm fixing up an 1982 GS650GL for my buddy.

As luck would have it, the rear shocks are shot, as the rear of the bike is currently like a pogo stick.

I've been researching posts on this forum, and it seems like the the option at the lower end of the price scale are Forsa/MDI's...

The bike currently has a set of Showas, which measure approximately 13.75 inces center-to-center on the eyes.

Here are my questions:

1. His plan for the bike is to ride approximately 50% of the time with his 115lb girlfriend on the back. Otherwise, he's about 185lbs. Do you think the MDI's will be too stiff, or might they be appropriate for this situation?

2. The original shocks are 13.75 inches and the only MDI's I can find are either 13.2 or 14.something eye-to-eye. Other than lowering the bike a bit, I assume the 13.2's will work fine?

3. What have you folks done to remedy the crappy bushings that come with the MDI's?

4. I checked partsNmore, but are there any other good retailers for the MDI's?

THANKS! Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

You should be able to order OEM bushings from Suzuki.

Recently I put these in my MDI shocks...

(The two smaller ones, of course.)

I found these at AutoZone. NAPA has a similar part without the larger bushing. You'll have to trim them a bit. It also helps of you can fabricate a metal sleeve to go in the middle hole.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X