Best online place to buy MDI shocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best online place to buy MDI shocks...

Has anyone found an inexpensive online retailer for MDI shocks...

Ebay: Haven't found much for my GS650
    loudfastugly.com: His payment terms scare the crap outta me
    oldbikebarn: seems expensive

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Not really sure but please steer clear of old bike barn. Look in the dead beat alerts on more info about that company.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Hi,

I seem to recall that I got mine from Cycle-Recycle II. But they are sold all over the place. Check the vendor list in the "mega-welcome" and do a little comparison shopping.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

As I have said before. Get the OEM swing arm shock bushings, don't waste your time with the crap that comes with the shocks They will press right in.. If you have a good strong vise !.

Comment

Hmm.. Like you said BassCliff, I checked cycle recycle and they are out of stock :-(

Anyway, without diverting the topic, the stock showas on my GS650 measure around 13.75" eye-to-eye. Do most people pick the 13 3/16 MDI's as replacements?

Thanks!

PS: my plan for the bushings was to use the rubber that MDI supplies yet make my own sleeves that go over the shock studs and inside the bushings.

Comment

Got a set at JC Whitney. That was several years back.
            http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
            1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Heres the kind I have on my bike. They are just as good as mdi.

I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
              http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
                Heres the kind I have on my bike. They are just as good as mdi.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS650...#ht_2753wt_960
                Hi,

Those are MDI shocks.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                  ...the stock showas on my GS650 measure around 13.75" eye-to-eye. Do most people pick the 13 3/16 MDI's as replacements?

PS: my plan for the bushings was to use the rubber that MDI supplies yet make my own sleeves that go over the shock studs and inside the bushings.
                  Hi,

13.75 inches is 13 3/4". The 13 3/16" will be over a half inch shorter. That will affect your handling, making it slower.

The foam rubber bushings included with the MDI shocks are crap. Check out my crash/restoration thread (link below) starting with post #42. I used some hard rubber bushings I found at the auto parts store. They're not great, but are a long sight better than the junk bushings included with the MDI/EMGO shocks. As suggested by Lynn, I'm going to order the stock bushings with my next major parts order.

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Well, I ended up getting the 335mm Emgo/MDI shocks from JCWhitney... $95 bucks with free shipping.

As for the slightly shorter size, I didn't think it would make as much of a difference, considering that the shocks are sprung heavy and the bike isn't going to sag as much in the rear...

It's either the 335mm shock or the one that's around 365mm... So, I opted for the slightly shorter one.

If necessary, I can always drop the front end a touch by moving the forks up in the triples just a tad...

As for the bushings, I need to redo the front fork seals, so I will order a set of oem bushings at this time.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Don"t waste your time with the bushings !!! Get the suzuki bushings !!!!!!

pn 09319-10008 5.36 @ at BikeBandit
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                        As for the slightly shorter size, I didn't think it would make as much of a difference, considering that the shocks are sprung heavy and the bike isn't going to sag as much in the rear...
                        Would you do us all a favor? Get a friend and get some measurements (I know where some of the guys are going to go with that. ).
                        Measure your stock shocks fully extended from eye to eye. Sit on the bike, measure again to get your riding height. Check again, if you want, using min/max preload settings. Now measure the MDIs the same ways. This will help you determine whether they actually will ride about the same height (in spite of their shorter length), and will let the rest of us know, too.

Thanks.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, here's a bit of an update...

My stock showas are actually just a bit over 13.5" - thats not much different than the 13 3/16 of the new MDI's.

This bike actually belongs to my buddy, and he wants to use it for riding in/out of the city with his GF on the back. So, he's around 185, she's 120, so thats around 305 on the bike.

The extra stiffness of the MDI's might just be appropriate for this situation...

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the "not as much sag" observation is valid. I got the stock length shocks and can tell my steering is a little quicker because the back end is a skosh higher. But I like the change it made in the handling. These shocks are just adequate, an improvement over the worn out 30 year old stock shocks. But you must address the bushing issue.

This is what the MDI bushings look like after less than 1000 miles.

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff,

I have to buy a bunch of parts to redo the fork seals and the clutch cover shaft seal, so, I'll buy the OEM bushings and press them in.

Can anyone verify this Suzuki part # for the bushings:
                              09319-10008

SqDancerLynn1 gave it to me above :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X