Best online place to buy MDI shocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I would trust Lynn, she knows her stuff. That same bushing is also used in footrests and swingarms of several different bikes, even though it's not listed as a separate part in the shocks.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The stock shocks are 12.75" long. You did well to not go any longer than you did.
      Last edited by Nessism; 01-12-2011, 10:38 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, I was going to purchase most of my stuff from DGY, but their 10% coupon expired, so, I founf everything I needed on BikeBandit.com

I purchased OEM busings for the new rear shocks, a set of Bikemaster seals for the forks, Fuchs Silkolene 15W oil, new upper fork bushings, new damper bolt sealing washers, and a new clutch cover oil seal.

Once the forks all all put back together, I'll probably pull the steering head bearings, clean/repack them, and then retighten the head.

Thanks for everyones help!

Comment

Congrats on finding everything you needed.

Too bad it was at the second-most-expensive supplier around.

Probably could have found them all cheaper at any one of the dozen other places listed in BassCliff's vendor page.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I looked at a ton of places, and the problem was the shipping - to save $5 on a part to only pay $6 in additional shipping didn't make a lot of sense.

Because bikeBandit had the fork oil I wanted and the seals at a good price, I got the other OEM parts through them, which wasn't a ton of stuff.

Then, I used a 5% discount code - everything seemed to add up fairly reasonably in the end.

BTW: The forks on the GS650 are stupid easy to disassemble...

Comment

That's one reason Bike Bandit is still on my list of vendors.

Whenever I have to do any shopping for parts, I start a spreadsheet to see who is going to have the lowest total. It is rather amusing to see how it changes, based on what is ordered. Sometimes the total favors one vendor, other times it's another vendor. One vendor has a minimum price of $2.97 for small parts. I happened to need a BUNCH of them on one order. Even though that vendor was cheaper on some of the larger stuff, I was getting enough small parts to offset that by a sizeable margin. Yep, you have to shop the bottom line.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                Don"t waste your time with the bushings !!! Get the suzuki bushings !!!!!!

pn 09319-10008 5.36 @ at BikeBandit

Lynn,

I'm not mad, just adding this info to the site so people know in the future - the part # you supplied WILL NOT work on a 1982 GS650G. The inner diameter of the bushing is too small to fit over the shock stud.

Comment

I used that # on my 850G So sorry they do not fit Apparently the 650G is different SO sorry..

Comment

Here's the plan..

The rubber on the MDI bushings doesn't strike me as that bad - it's the plastic sleeves that are $hit.

The shock stud appears to be 12mm, the inside dia of the busnings appear to be just over 14mm, and the length of the bushings is 19mm...

I'm going to buy some 12mmx15mmx19mm bronze bushings from mcmaster carr and use them as the shock stud sleeves. I'll let everyone know how it works out!

Comment

Working...
                    X