Rear shocks spring rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks spring rate

I searched but could not find any info on the stock rear spring rate for my '80 GS850. I replaced the stock shocks with Progressive shocks I got for a song on EBay but the springs rate on them is 75/120. I currently have them at the highest pre-load (I weigh around 250lb). I'm wondering if the stock springs would be stiffer than that.

Thanks,

Raz

I think the correct springs rates from progressive for your bike are supposed to be 90/130.

Dunno how stiff the stocks were, which were prolly only that stiff for 6 months after they were new.

Comment

Well, the spring rate would not change that quickly, but the damping ability surely would.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Measure static sag and report back.

I weigh about 30 pounds more than you, and I had to install Progressive's 120/170 springs to get sag in the right ballpark.

They don't list these for the GS850 -- you have to look on the application chart for the Kawasaki Voyager. They're Progressive part number 03-1365B for black springs or 03-1365C for chrome.

With this setup, I use the first or second preload position with just me on the bike, and the fourth or fifth with a passenger and luggage. Perfect.

Stock rear springs wouldn't help -- they're set up for a Japanese test rider that weighs maybe 100-120 pounds.
        Last edited by bwringer; 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks I'll start hunting around for those springs. It's a long winter so I have some time.

Comment

Working...
          X