Rear Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wheel Bearings

Last year I replaced the rear wheel bearings as part of my rebuild. I removed the rear wheel yesterday to clean it and grease the splines with moly 60. I checked the bearings for roughness and discovered I could not turn the inside races very easily. I also noticed that both sides turned at the same time. Seems the spacer between the bearings is in contact with both inner races. Did I install the bearings in to far and would this cause the races to be hard to rotate? There is only 3000 kms on these bearings.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you made them too tight

Replacement is recommended
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If there's ever any doubt, replace the wheel bearings. They're cheap, and it's not worth the risk.

You have coyly failed to disclose the type of bike you're working on, but I gather it's a shaftie since you mention lubing splines. Therefore, all you need are two common 6303 bearings.

You also want to make sure that whatever you're using the drive the new bearings in does not contact the inner race or seal. Make sure you only apply force to the outer race.

Also, if you don't drive the new bearings in until they're fully seated, they'll be side-loaded and will quickly fail.

I don't really see how you'd get them "too tight"...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes its a 1980 1000G.

I did put them in by using the outer race as the contact point. I checked a spare wheel that I have and the spacer is looser, and the spline side bearing seems driven in a little further on the one I am concerned about. I will get a new set of bearings just to be sure though, seeing they are cheap.

Cheers.

Comment

The spacer shouldn't be loose. It's job is to prevent sideways pressure on the bearing when you tighten the wheel up.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I just replaced the front and rear wheel bearings on my 1981 gs750. The rear wheel bearings are snug against the spacer, and they both turn at the same time, although not as freely as they'd turn not installed.

However, when I installed the front wheel bearings, I tried my best to align the front spacer, but it seems that this spacer is slightly off to the side, and I can't even get the bearings to turn now. How should I fix this?

When I installed the bearings, I only applied pressure to the outside race, and the bearings went in quite easily. When I install the wheel back onto the bike, will the axle align everything properly? Or should I remove one bearing and re-install?
            Thanks

Comment

Yes, you'll want to line up the spacer -- use the axle to move it a bit if it's only a little off line, or a big screwdriver or alignment punch. If the spacer was really cocked sideways and not just off to one side, you might have messed up the bearings.

Whenever you remove a bearing, the bearing is scrap and must be replaced.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The bearings I replaced were brand new, quality japanese bearings...cheap from the local supplier ($40 for front and rears). The old ones may have been still good, but were definitley trashed after I beat them out.

The spacer was only slightly off, so I'm hoping I can realign the spacer with the axle....we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Comment

I think you'll be fine -- the spacer always ends up a little off-center, so you just scoot it back into position with the axle. No biggie.

If you managed to cock it sideways badly, then that would be ungood.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                  X