Just ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered

the cheapo hagon shocks for my gs550 build.

This bike is just a daily, getting the 650 top end, gs1150 front forks and triple, has some nice Avons on it.

I have the cheap emgo (or whatever) rears on it now, which apparently are crap for anything that doesn't weigh at least 600 lbs.

Way too much rebound, way too much preload. I actually have to run lower tire pressures to get reasonable handling characteristics, and it's still uncomfortable on bumpy roads.

In any case, I'll be putting these on and letting you know how I like them.

I ordered from http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ and got an email right away from Maggie.

She asked me lots of questions, and also told me I could order in 330, 340, 350, and finally, 360mm shocks. I went for 360 because the 1150 forks are a tad longer than the 550 shocks, and I like to raise the back end a bit to quicken steering, so this will still give me a bit of a raised back end.

These were 194 bucks, plus about 15 bucks shipping, and she reminded me that these are not rebuildable. Which is fine, for this budget build.

I'm guessing that compared to the cheap emgos, these will be well-worth the 200 bucks.

It looks like they have some very nice higher-grade fully adjustable shocks too, the 'nitros'.

If I hadn't already bought the Ikons for the GS750, I'd have been tempted to try those.

Updates as soon as they get here.

Yes, you'll be very happy with these Hagons.

Even though they're not rebuildable, they do seem to last a good long time, and handle quite well. From what I understand, they have shock bodies in two or three different damping configurations and a variety of springs to choose from, so they put them together as needed to suit the rider.

Excellent bang for the buck -- and they're even slightly cheaper than Progressives.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not slightly. A lot less. The progressives, new, will cost you 300ish bucks.

Comment

Hagons are good shocks. I just wish they would put better chrome on those springs though - 'apporth o' tar and all that.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Hagons are good shocks. I just wish they would put better chrome on those springs though - 'apporth o' tar and all that.
          I got all black. I shouldn't have chrome issues

Comment

Originally posted by mlinder View Post
            Not slightly. A lot less. The progressives, new, will cost you 300ish bucks.
            To be fair, Progs cost a good bit less when you buy the shocks and springs separately. Around $225 to $250, depending on vendor and finish.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Odd, about 300 with shipping if I order directly from Progressive...

Comment

Wow, talk about great service.

Emailed them Saturday, got a response on Monday in which were asked the important questions, I answered their questions, returned to me was an email in which I was given an option which correlated to one of the specifics of this particular bike, which will work great for me, and I didn't know was available, this morning I got a tracking number.

All for a less-than 200 dollar part.

The emails were not canned, they were typed by a real person (Maggie), with a nice feel to them.

Will certainly order from them again, assuming I need more Hagons at some point.

Comment

Progressive shocks are significantly less expensive if you order from a retailer.

For example, with free shipping Dennis Kirk wants $263.99 for a set of 412 shocks, which are assembled and complete with springs. (You can find them a bit cheaper yet if you poke around and aren't in a hurry.)

12 series shock bodies are $166.99 a pair, and springs are $65.99 to $77.99 depending on whether you want black or chrome. ($232.98 to $244.98 total) They're the same as the 412 aside from black end caps instead of chrome, and the fact that you have to faff around installing the springs (harder than it looks, frankly.)

Hagons still come out less expensive, of course, and it's always cool to support an attentive small business.

Just FYI for anyone else looking in on this thread later on...

Progressive's standard-duty shock springs specified for most GS models are a 75/120 rate suitable for ballerinas and jockeys.

105/150 is Prog's "heavy-duty" rate, suitable for most regular people.

Their 120/170 spring is not listed for GS applications, but may be needed if you're riding a heavier GS (1100E or GS850, for example) and are a person of significant dimension (about 240 pounds or more). You will find this spring listed under the 1984 Kawasaki Voyager.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Hello mlinder, are there any reports/updates on the hagon shocks? I also am looking to replace MDI shocks that I purchased 2.5 years ago. I was taking my time, up to last Saturday, when on a left curve, my 650GL felt like on ice/oil. The only explanation I can come up to the rear end behavior, was that the left shock seems to have been loosing fluids (its wet). I was considering buying this http://www.omarsdtr.com/shox1.html , but upon reading reviews on line, I am 50/50. Now, the hagons seem like a good compromise. How are they performing for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X