shock swap for 86 550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shock swap for 86 550es

I have heard that an older model gsxr shock may fit or an sv650 shock may also, but I figured this would be the best place to see what people have found that fits for sure. Any thoughts from the gs experts here?

Originally posted by frankrizzo View Post
    I have heard that an older model gsxr shock may fit or an sv650 shock may also, but I figured this would be the best place to see what people have found that fits for sure. Any thoughts from the gs experts here?
    2000 GSXR shocks are supposed to work. I'm not sure what years beyond that were the same. Comparing pictures of shocks on Ebay or part numbers with Works Performance should clear that up. Probably higher quality than the SV shocks and you can most likely find a low mileage one on Ebay.

Comment

Thanks brother! Now I just have to find out if a 600 or 750 would work. The 600 was not revised until 2001. The 750 was all new in 2000. They are both readily available, that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by frankrizzo View Post
        Thanks brother! Now I just have to find out if a 600 or 750 would work. The 600 was not revised until 2001. The 750 was all new in 2000. They are both readily available, that is for sure.
        The Works website shows lengths and shock numbers for all models of bikes. Between that and Ebay photos you should be able to get a good idea of what will work. On the photos you might notice a bolt at the top of the shock. Under that bolt and its attaching point you will usually find an eye at the top of the shock.

Comment

Looking at their application guide now. Thanks so much!

Comment

I have a 2008 GSXR 1000 shock and the eye-to-eye is exactly the same distance as my stock 1985 GS550L shock. I'm gonna have to pull the center stand to fit the reservoir though.

Comment

Working...
            X