why do my breaks squeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do my breaks squeal?

why is it that my brakes squeal only when I roll the bike backwards? 1979 850G

Hi,

Only backwards? Hmmm.

Normally, you will use a little brake/caliper grease between the shim pad (#3) and the brake pad (#2) so that it dampens (or changes) the vibrations to make them inaudible to human ears.

But I don't know why this happens to you only backwards.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

dont go backwards!!! forwards is much more fun
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        dont go backwards!!! forwards is much more fun
        LOL!

I agree!

BassCliff

Comment

I'm goin with worn pads. check the condition of them, replace as needed.

Comment

There is a shim missing in BassCliff's picture. It goes between the pad and the caliper (or piston) and on the trailing edge. This puts a wedge of effort on the pad. By going backwards, the wedge is on the leading edge, leading to chatter. Considering the ratio of how much time you spend going backwards compared to going forward, I would not worry about it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, do you mean this 'spring pad'?

I hope I'm not missing anything and that it just wasn't in the picture.

BassCliff

Comment

I wouldnt dare second guess Steve but that looks ok for the front caliper... the rear on the other hand has that directional shim

(part 13)

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                  I wouldnt dare second guess Steve but that looks ok for the front caliper... the rear on the other hand has that directional shim
                  Now that I think about it, Mr. doug g never mentioned if it was the front or the back. Either way:

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                    I wouldnt dare second guess Steve but that looks ok for the front caliper... the rear on the other hand has that directional shim.
                    Oh, you're not "second guessing", you're just flat-out catching me in a rare mistake.

The last bike brakes I worked on were rears, so that's what stuck in my mind.

I had also changed the front pads on my son's car, and they had the c-shaped shims, too.

Yep, that c-shaped shim is only on the rear brake on the GS.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You sure the sound is from the brakes? could be bearings. Just a thought.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Doug,

Did you go to the calipers and rotors I gave you last year?
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Steve, do you mean this 'spring pad'?

I hope I'm not missing anything and that it just wasn't in the picture.

BassCliff
                          I have the old style calipers still on my bike. Duanage got me some newer style calipers but life has been so crazy I have not had the opportunity or cash to rebuild them and install on my bike yet.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                            Doug,

Did you go to the calipers and rotors I gave you last year?
                            not yet. Life and cash has been an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Oh, you're not "second guessing", you're just flat-out catching me in a rare mistake.

The last bike brakes I worked on were rears, so that's what stuck in my mind.

I had also changed the front pads on my son's car, and they had the c-shaped shims, too.

Yep, that c-shaped shim is only on the rear brake on the GS.

front old style calipers with the round disc style pads.
                              Pads are fairly new and they used to squeal when going forward and backwards and now with the new pads it happens only backwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X