Different Rim Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Rim Sizes

I just purchased 2 rims with good tires off of Ebay only to find out that the front I bought measures 19" dia. and the rear a 16" dia. The bike is stock with 18" front and back now. Is this going to make a huge difference either way in the bike? I was expecting the same sizes. The 19" rim is from a '81 GS450L. The rear never specified the rim size, but it's a 16" from looking up the years. Just wondering on opinions .. would you mount them up that way or this an accident waiting to happen in some way?

I have a 1980 GS450E.

If anyone needs them I'll sell them cheap.. haha (only kind of kidding)
    Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM.

It will make a difference

Comment

What are you planning on doing with/to the bike? If you are looking to make it more cruiser/chopper style, those wheels will do it. It will also turn a lot harder/slower, a lot like a cruiser.

Comment

Actually I was going quite the opposite. Guess you live and learn. I thought they would be the same size I had and I needed new tires, so thought new set of rims with good tires would be a win-win. I wanted a more race-like style. Might go clubman bars, shortened rear, etc. Should I go with the 19" up front or just keep the 18" front and back?

Anyone need a 16" with good tire?

Comment

Hi,

Check the date code on the tires. Just because they have tread doesn't mean that they are good tires. Click below.

How old are my tires?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The rear is a Duro HF-918-1, 120/80/16 with what looks like code 3003GH ... the tire feels grippy and looks like it's pretty new. But like I said, don't know. They have it on their website and looks the same.

As for the 19" front it's a IRC DuroTour RS-310-F, 100/90/19 with code 044< (not sure what < is ??) The listing said tire was new as of last season with only 500 miles use on it. Still has the little nibs on the tire.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I would go with both 18's for the look you are going for.

Comment

Originally posted by Strycker View Post
                The rear is a Duro HF-918-1, 120/80/16 with what looks like code 3003GH ... a IRC DuroTour RS-310-F, 100/90/19 with code 044< (not sure what < is ??)
                Hi,

Using those codes, the rear tire was manufactured in the 30th week of the year 2003. The tire is almost 8 years old. The front tire was manufactured in the 4th week of 1994, a 17 year old tire. Either those are not the proper date codes or you have some pretty old tires there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X