Banjo bolt size/thread pitch '78 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banjo bolt size/thread pitch '78 750

About to order up some new brake lines. Before I go and make a mess, anybody know if it's 10mm banjos all around? And the pitch on the bolt threads?

Thanks

You might want to check the archives since this topic has come up several times before so the answer is there. Using the Advance Search works best, and click the "titles only" button and then search on "banjo" or something to this effect.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes all the banjo bolts are all the same size..at least on my 77 and 78 750s they are. also just an fyi..if you ever need an exhaust hanger bolt, the banjo bolts ater the same size and they work very wel.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        You might want to check the archives since this topic has come up several times before so the answer is there. Using the Advance Search works best, and click the "titles only" button and then search on "banjo" or something to this effect.

Good luck.
        Ah, tried searching this forum with no success. Will try the archives. Still figuring out the formatting of these forums...

Thanks for the pointer about the exhaust hanger bolts, Chuck, but the hangers went the way of the swing arm

Comment

If you still have it in the scrap pile and it has a hanger bolt.use that as a referrence for the banjo bolt threads..and if you get a banjo bolt you can try it in the hanger hole before you try it in the master cylinder or caliper to be sure it will fit.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            Ah, tried searching this forum with no success. Will try the archives. Still figuring out the formatting of these forums...

Advanced Search...Titles only...found this... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...94&postcount=3
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Good work ED..maybe next year for the Bard Award!! I voted for you this time!!! LMAO

Comment

Yeah, advanced search found tons in the old tech forum, thanks. I assume it's the same across models of that era. Didn't see the 750 mentioned specifically but that 650 thread and another 1100 thread said the same thing. Thanks guys.

Comment

I made a mess

Did find the old exhaust hanger and found the threads to be x1.25. Decided I'd better make a mess before I ordered the wrong bolts. Pulled the double bolt on the splitter and the single bolts off of the caliper and master cylinder in the rear. All of which are the supper fine x1.0 threads.

Trying my luck on some ebay lines, will write a review once I get them. Ordered 4 lines and the total w/ shipping and a double banjo bolt came out to $103.25 Emailed him before the sale and he offered combined shipping slightly less than the automatically generated combined shipping -- $14 instead of the $18 that popped up in paypal. Would have been $108 ish at normal price with the $4 less shipping. Kinda counting pennies, but more than enough for a pint

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    Did find the old exhaust hanger and found the threads to be x1.25. Decided I'd better make a mess before I ordered the wrong bolts. Pulled the double bolt on the splitter and the single bolts off of the caliper and master cylinder in the rear. All of which are the supper fine x1.0 threads.
                    Glad you checked for yourself before trusting the incorrect info posted earlier! Reading down the list I was a little alarmed.

Later model Suzukis do use 10X1.25mm threads on the brake banjos, but the oldies use 10X1mm.

10mm body and engine fasteners on Asian vehicles normally 1.25mm thread pitch, whereas US and Euro vehicles use 1.5mm.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Glad you checked for yourself before trusting the incorrect info posted earlier! Reading down the list I was a little alarmed.

Later model Suzukis do use 10X1.25mm threads on the brake banjos, but the oldies use 10X1mm.
                      Yeah, just another little reminder to always do your own wrenching... One of the archived results had someone who found a mix of 1.0 and 1.25 threading, so that was another reason I felt the need to pull things apart. Wouldn't care too much 'cause worst case scenario I clean up the original bolts and reuse, but since I was special ordering a double banjo bolt too I figured I might as well make sure it's the right one.

New lines ship tomorrow, but they are coming from Canada. Not holding my breath for them to be here by the weekend.

Comment

Brian..I have used the banjo bolts as exhaust hanger bolts ..if thats the INCORRECT info you are referring to. On my bikes its that way, and I have restored 4 GS so far and starting on the 5th. I was missing the bolts and wanted to go to the hardware to get some, so i decided to try a bunch of bolts I had laying around and a banjo bolt went right in, so I used them till I could actually replace them with a real bolt. Now maybe there are different bolt threads but the banjo bolts I had did work. I dont post things unless I have been there and done that.
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-22-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I appreciate you trying to help, chuck, but that is the incorrect info in question. A misc. banjo bolt kicking around in a box of nuts and bolts is not the same thing as one directly from this model bike.

Do you happen to know what bike the bolt came off of? Most the bike listed in your sig are the same erra as mine... Different brake components for the bigger bikes maybe, or maybe if it was the '82 that was after they had switched over to the x1.25 threads in general? Just thinking out loud... and it doesn't really matter anyway.

I will post up if I do find any mix-and match threadings between my components when I do the install... looked like m10x1.0 all around from my sample checks though.

Comment

Only parts bikes i had striped down were a 77 750 for parts for my bike restore, a 79 650 for selling parts and Ebay sales, and an 80 850 that i gave to Rustybronco ..we did strip the 850 down and threw a lot of bolts and such from all the bikes into a gallon jug.

Comment

For future reference, from the product description on Goodridge banjo bolts from Z1 Enterprises:

Goodridge Brake Hose 10MM X 1.0mm Thread Pitch BANJO BOLT Chrome

crush washers sold separately - see below

Goodridge Fitting Guide - some models do vary, but most adhere to the following:
                              Honda
                              All Models 10mm x 1.25

Kawasaki
                              All Models 10mm x 1.25

Suzuki
                              Pre 1994 Models: Whole Bike: 10mm x 1.0
                              1994-2001 Models: Front Calipers 10mm x 1.25
                              1994-2001 Models: Front Master Cylinder 10mm x 1.0
                              1994-2001 Models: Rear Master Cylinder and Rear Caliper 10mm x 1.0
                              2002- On: Whole Bike 10mm x1.25

Yamaha
                              All Models 10mm x 1.25

Comment

Working...
                              X