Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern replacement shock absorber for GSX750ES

Hi All,

New here. Since I was young there is a motorcycle that captured my heart like no other ... The mighty GSX750ES
    I'm re-building one now with great attention to details.

1. Rear shock absorber
    I disassembled the old rear shock absorber which is dead.
    It is the type that has 2 round ends and measures about 32.5 cm between center of one hole to the center of the other hole.
    Can anybody tell me which modern shock absorber from which motorcycle will fit the GSX750ES ?

2. Front fork:
    What should I do in order to have the old Front fork regain its youth ?
    Should I replace it or would an overhaul be enough ?

Doing the same with the 85 in my sig thread so I'm going to be interested in the responses.Welcome to GSR the best place on the web for our old bikes.

Comment

Front fork, new fork seals and progressive springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
        Front fork, new fork seals and progressive springs.
        I understand from this that the stock ones were not progressive, right ?
        What size, type and brand of progressive spring would fit ?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX750ES junky View Post
          I understand from this that the stock ones were not progressive, right ?
          What size, type and brand of progressive spring would fit ?

What year is your bike? I'm not sure with GSX bikes but I doubt they are progessive.

Comment

Mine is from 1985.

Comment

Progressive with a capital "P" is a brand name of a company that makes rising-rate springs and many other suspension components, and progressive with a lower case "p" is also a generic term for rising-rate springs.

You might also look at a set of straight-rate fork springs from Sonic http://sonicsprings.com . This is my preference, and I think straight-rate fork springs in the correct spring rate are the better choice for riders that weigh more than the "average" 150-170 pounds and/or who like to ride briskly.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Search for Ducati shock. Salty Monk did that to his, i don't know what model, he will probably chime in and tell you. I've got a Hagon on mine, i swapped the forks for a set from a '94 RF900.
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Welcome to the site. If you do a search you'll find lots of information on different shock companies to choose from. Do you have a picture of your bike?

Basscliff will be along shortly to give you the official welcome...read his site, it's chocked full of great information and tips.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GSX750ES junky,

In your "mega-welcome" are a few links for suspension upgrade suggestions. Some are pricey, some are even more so. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It really makes me happy to find other people who also share the passion to preserve these beautiful and rusty pieces of technological history made by Suzuki.
                      I believe that nowadays motorcycle became cold machines with transformer like aesthetics and it is important to preserve these old beasts
                      I hope my English will not be too much of an obstacle... I almost wrote "Thank you all for the worm welcome"...

I weigh 86kg (190 lbs) after lunch and my wife, who will also ride the bike, weighs 60kg (130 lbs) . I would like to ride it in a sporty but non aggressive mode.
                      What should I prefer ? rising-rate springs or straight-rate ?
                      This company http://sonicsprings.com doesn't make springs for my bike. I wasn't able to find my model there.
                      How is race tech ? ( http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=53&menuid=61)
                      When recommending a brand please provide a link to the actual product. I noticed that most manufacturers do not mention which of their product is good for the GSX750ES.

kingofvenus,
                      We share the same bike with the same color scheme
                      I was very impressed by the front end you put on your bike.
                      The other day me and a friend argued whether the black frame is stock or painted by the seller. Can you tell me if this bike was sold in the US with a stock black frame.
                      I believe my bike was privately imported from the US.
                      Here is my bike in its hay days...
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2011, 04:22 AM.

Comment

And here it is today...

Comment

Since I have a 85 Canadian GS750EF I will say that my frame is and was silver stock.

The black is where the PO painted the bodywork on the bike!
                          The paint I used on the frame is slightly darker

Different markets get different stuff it seems.My fork was a PDFfork,US models never got those.,other things where slightly different to.It's entirely possible OZ got black frames,the 83 bikes I got in my package deal did.One way to check is if there is a scratch on the frame check the paint color there.

Comment

Specific brands of rear shock absorber and front springs for GSX750ES , Anybody ?

Comment

Sonics Springs for front springs.I know it's not listed(I checked) but if you contact the owner he will get you what you need.Rich Desmond has a great service record.Had a set on the SV of my user name.

Comment

Working...
                              X