Fork dampener bolt really stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Would a regular bottle propane torch be enough?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thats what I used.
      Do do see one in the original pic now.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The saga continues...

Hi,

Well, I wasn't crazy about putting my forks back on without fixing them properly. So I called up a couple of my friends (Thanks Ed!) seeking advice. I put the air caps back on and tried air pressure trick to pop the seals out. The bicycle pump I had didn't work. So I took a trip down to the gas station and used their air pump. It didn't work either. I went to Home Depot and bought another manual tire pump that looked like to would work. The gauge on it went to 174psi and I figured that would be enough to blow the seals. I brought it home and hooked it up. I pumped and pumped. I pegged the gauge, over 174psi and probably close to 200psi. Nothing! The seal held.

Feeling dejected, I took off the pump connector from the air cap and just held it in my hand, looking at it and thinking, "What am I going to do now?". Then all of a sudden.....

POP!

I was so happy!

After I filled the fork with as much air as I could it took a couple of minutes for the seal to pop. It kind of surprised me. But it was a pleasant surprise.

So I'm going to replace the seals and fix the bolt later, after I've received new parts and assembled the necessary tools. I did not buy OEM seals or the fancy leakproof pro-moly kind so I have a feeling that these seals might not last very long anyway. They are the K&S brand seals. We'll see how they work out.

Stay tuned for further developments.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

Well, I wasn't crazy about putting my forks back on without fixing them properly. So I called up a couple of my friends (Thanks Ed!) seeking advice. I tried the air pressure trick to pop the seals out. The bicycle pump I had didn't work. So I took a trip down to the gas station and used their air pump. It didn't work either. I went to Home Depot and bought another manual tire pump that looked like to would work. The gauge on it went to 174psi and I figured that would be enough to blow the seals. I brought it home and hooked it up. I pumped and pumped. I pegged the gauge, over 174psi and probably close to 200psi. Nothing! The seal held.

Feeling dejected, I took off the pump connector from the air cap and just held it in my hand, looking at it and thinking, "What am I going to do now?". Then all of a sudden.....

POP!

I was so happy!

After I filled the fork with as much air as I could it took a couple of minutes for the seal to pop. It kind of surprised me. But it was a pleasant surprise.

So I'm going to replace the seals and fix the bolt later, after I've received new parts and assembled the necessary tools. I did not buy OEM seals or the fancy leakproof pro-moly kind so I have a feeling that these seals might not last very long anyway. They are the K&S brand seals. We'll see how they work out.

Stay tuned for further developments.

BassCliff

Just incase it happens again you should buy a HV-HP (high volume, high pressure) road tire pump with a presta fitting and use an adapter to fit a schrader valve. We use it in the regular bike industry and can reach about ~370psi before failure to the pump.

Maybe I'm a little late with that but could be in your write up that I'm sure you're already making regarding this.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            P.S. nice nails Lynn
            Any guarantee that they were Lynn's?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I would really hope that Cliff has at least trimmed his lately..
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Is it really possible to dig out the old seals and slip the new ones on over the inner fork tube? Have you ever tried it?

BassCliff
                Certainly!
                After you get them out, drive them in with a piece of plastic pipe that fits over the inner tube.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  Certainly!
                  After you get them out, drive them in with a piece of plastic pipe that fits over the inner tube.

Daniel
                  Hi,

Like this?

Now I've got the right fork done!

Unfortunately, the left fork seal, the one that was leaking worse, will not pop out no matter how much air I put in it with my air pump. It's much more stubborn than the other. I've got a friend with a pump that he's used for the same purpose. I'll borrow it tomorrow to see if I can pop it. If not, I'll try to carefully dig it out so that I don't have to ride around with one new seal and one old one.

And the adventure continues. Oh, the joys of working on a 30 year old motorcycle.

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Oh, you guys.

You should know that's not my color.

BassCliff

Comment

Oh, you guys.

You should know that's not my color.

BassCliff
                      Yeah, he likes electric blue with sparklies (he steals it from his daughter's room)

Comment

I'll try to carefully dig it out so
                        Carefully is the key word. I nicked my tube doing it and 3 seals later it still leaks. Maybe wrap some tape around the tube until you get it out.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

How about three small screws in the seal, that way you could pull up on it to assist the air pressure? And speaking of air pressure, 200 psi can be dangerous if something lets go so don't take things lightly.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

They always take a bit to "pop" usually. About 180psi+ seems to do the really stuck ones. You can "dig" them out carefully. I have.

You can also try tapping them with a screwdriver & hammer to deform the edge where it meets the pipe wall, seems to help loosen them up & let the air pressure do it's job.

I have a 12v impact wrench you can borrow
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

A motorcycle miracle!

Hi guys,

Originally posted by salty_monk
                              They always take a bit to "pop" usually. About 180psi+ seems to do the really stuck ones.
                              Indeed! I just got home from a day out with the family, walked in the garage with a couple of pumps borrowed from Ian, and when I saw the fork, the seal was already popped! I left it pressurized all night and checked it this morning but it was still sealed. When we got back from our outing 7 hours later, it had blown open!

Now I can at least finish my fork seal replacement. But I'm not really looking forward to extracting the bolts. It will be an adventure for another day. Look for my fork seal replacement write-up coming to a website near you.

Here she is, all buttoned up and checking the sag.

The sequel will be a dampener bolt extraction guide.

BassCliff
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Hi guys,

It sure is nice arriving at work without fork oil on the forks, tank, horns, etc.

Yes, that's a Tarozzi fork brace.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X