Rear brake spring routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake spring routing

Took rear brake apart and forgot how the spring attaches on my 1983 1100 l. I just don't know how the spring hooks up. Anyone have a pic of the completed assembly?

Can't figure out if the u shape on the back of the spring rests against one of the 2 arms or is routed though on of the holes.

If you are talking about part #9, the "U" hooks over the top edge of the brake pad and the ends go under the retainer pins (#7) that go through the holes at the top corners of the pads.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, but I must need to be more specific...

I'm talking about the back brake foot lever shaft..where there is the spring that returns the foot lever back to origional position. It is also the point where the brake light swith spring is attached along with the piston rod for the brake cylinder. The shaft popped backwards out of the frame and the parts layed on the ground un-assembled.

Comment

OK, moving forward on the bike, ...

if you hold the spring up to the pedal as if the pivot were still attached, you will see that it only fits one way.
        The "U" on the spring will cradle under the arm of the pedal, the spring will coil around the pivot shaft and
        the tab on the other end of the spring will go on the front side of the pin on the frame.

While you have that pivot out, clean it VERY WELL with a wire brush, then clean the hole in the frame, too.
        Grease it when you put it together, you shouldn't have to worry about it for another dozen years or so.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,
          That is exactly what I was looking for...thank you for the lightening responces.

Comment

Working...
          X