Progressive fourteen series feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive fourteen series feedback?

Sorry, I've searched quite a bit on this but "14" is not a valid search term so I'm going to add the word fourteen to this post to help find it later

Currently revisiting the rear suspension and I was thinking about the Progressive 14 series (14-1282B). My 335mm MDIs are stiff as expected, but they're also a bit too long. That fourteen model is 12.5" vs. the 13" of the twelves. My old stockers measure more like 12.25". Most posts/info available here show the 12 series being recommended. Questions for those who may know:

1) Is the 14 series dramatically inferior a product vs the 12 series (I'd expect them to be better than MDIs or 30YO stockers in any case)?
    2) Do Progressive shocks come with acceptable bushings?
    3) Anything else I should think about?

After examining Progressive's full catalog, I see the twelve series is also available in 12.5" length. 82 and 81 GS550s show recommended shocks in 12.5" 14 series or 13" 12 series. Other bikes which show 12.5" and 13" recommendations show 12 series parts recommended at both lengths as well as the 14s @ 12.5". Calling Progressive about it isn't likely to provide much help as they've already told me their data on the older bikes is from another company they bought, and the methods of their test are not known.

Under the assumption that they don't recommend the 12.5" 12 series because there might be fitment or clearance issues, I went ahead and ordered the 14's and the 90/130 springs. I can always go back to the MDIs, right (and for that matter to the old stockers but THAT ain't gonna happen).

So, does anyone have any shock spring installation tips ???

Comment

Yes. Go to "Z1 enterprises" They will install them for you when you order them, express that in your order, for free.

Comment

They don't sell the 14 series. So I've already ordered from someone else and will need to install the springs. I'd liked to have taken them up on that.

Comment

Got the shocks and springs today. Installing the springs (the 90/130s) was not too bad - tool-free, 5-minute, 2 man job. I compressed the springs about an inch or so (wearing gloves) with the shocks at full extension and let my son slip the keepers in. All I've done so far is tool around the neighborhood loop a couple of times on the second pre-load, but they provided more cushion than the MDIs for sure. The bike still felt very stable and even the slightly lower sitting made leaning into the curves more confidence-inspiring (particularly without the stocker bounce). The lower shock nut is no longer hitting the exhaust.

My only complaint thus far is that the little tool provided to adjust the preload does not fit well. It really wanted to slip out. Though I also thought the MDIs looked a bit better. These are a little thinner and don't look as "tough" - don't particularly care though.

Soon to get a bit more riding in and see how they do out on the open road. Next week - Daytona bars and new grips!

Comment

What did you use to compress the springs to put them on? Don't you need a special tool to do that?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              What did you use to compress the springs to put them on? Don't you need a special tool to do that?
              Two gloved hands and my fat a&... errr, tremendous upper-body strength

Seriously though, I put the bottom of the shock on a table and just pulled down at the top. I was able to hold them down long and far enough (~30 secs, just about an inch) for my son to get the keepers on.

Yeah I was kind of surprised. Asked a buddy who does some bike work if he had the tools to do it and he said no but that he could almost always get them on this way. He also suggested that if I couldn't manage by hand to try a ratchet strap through an upper coil and the lower eyelet.

Progressive has an "official" tool for about $30 and I've seen some mini McPherson strut style compressors on eBay for about 20.

Comment

Just to describe this a bit better...

The only tools required to install the shocks are a spring compressor (which in this case was just me and my gloved hands) and probably a screwdriver for the bump rubber. The keeper (officially the "spring retainer clip") is slotted unlike the factory shocks to slip around the shaft - over the spring and under the shock top mount. Once in place the spring pressure holds the clip. See picture.

As they arrive out of the box, the shocks are fully compressed and the bumper (above which is a washer) are right up next to the top shock mount where the clip will need to be. The bumper was pretty tight on the shaft, so after extending the shock I needed to use a screwdriver to wedge it down the shaft about an inch. On the second shock I hit the top mount and pulled it down with the spring the first two times; the third time was the charm.

Comment

I just installed my Progressive springs with no help at all. I am having trouble bolting the shocks on the bike though.

Comment

Looking for more input on the 14 series too. Wanting to put them on a 450t and I drive pretty mellow.

Comment

Working...
                    X