No announcement yet.

GS1100GK fork specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not sure that there are many GS1100GK's in my part of the world but it did seem unusual that there wasn't any mention of the different sizes in the GSR forums. And it does highlight to me the accuracy of information found on some parts websites.

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Originally posted by gs58 View Post
      I'm not sure that there are many GS1100GK's in my part of the world but it did seem unusual that there wasn't any mention of the different sizes in the GSR forums.
      OK, just where is your part of the world?

I have not been an 'official' member very long, but I was reading the board for quite a while.
      Just about every mention of the front end of a GK has mentioned the larger forks.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

This is what i use. It has a 18mm nut welded on the end. (edited. sorry i was 17mm)

Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Grandpa's GK I believe had GS850 forks, due to the Bambie incident

Comment

Checked today and "my" 82 GS1100gk with the d-shaped ports has 37mm fork tubes. Not sure where these larger forks are?
            Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I have a 83 GK front end and just measured them and they are 41mm tubes.
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                This is what i use. It has a 17mm nut welded on the end.

Is 17mm the outside measurement of the nut (across the flats)?

Because we tried to use a tool with a 19mm nut on Larry's 41mm GK forks, and it seemed to be too small. It works great on 37mm forks, but seemed to be too small for the 41mm forks.

I am officially confustimicated.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ok here is the tool I got from work when they shut down.

OK the tip itself mounts on the 3/8" t-handle. The tip is Suzuki part # 09940-34581 and there's one on ebay right now for $25 item # 140521663538

It seems to measure around 18, 22, and 24mm across flats and I had the 22mm installed outwards but I dont remember if my 1982 GKZ was the last thing I used it on. (but I'm pretty sure it was)
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

One could purchase a 3/8" thandle or manufacture one, then take a large 3/8" socket (larger than 22mm od) then grind flats on the outside circumference of it.I was forced to do this on a Bruteforce 650 front diff the other day when i needed a 35mm hex id and a 41 or so mm hex od.

Comment

I have a list of fork tube diameters and other info going in the "need some
                      help compiling a database" thread. Shane (kiwiGS) offered it up and I think Dan found it originally. But there are some I'm not sure about on the list. They listed one of the GK models as having 37mm tubes like the other big GSes but most of the GK model years as having 41mm. A bit odd.

Comment

Ill be suprised there bigger than 37mm. Thats Katana size and GS1000's are only 36mm.
                        Maybe things are smaller on your side of the pond but my GS1000G has 37mm tubes and I have a 83GK frontend in the shop and it measures41mm
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

GK damper rod recess star measurements

As you know, there are two 12 point "star" patterns in the end of the damper rod (inner cylinder) for our for forks. A 14mm nut fits snugly inside the inner star pattern without any wiggle. A 17mm nut fits within the outer star (like others have mentioned). The machine shop gave me a 5/8" nut to fit into the outer star. btw - 16mm is almost the same size. Those MIGHT work but they don't fit that outer star snugly. They move some before getting wedged in so I wouldn't recommend them.
                          I was trying to get the machine shop to attach a 14mm jam nut (glued/braised) onto a 17mm jam nut and then attach those to a threaded or solid rod. Using the damper rod as a pattern in order to get the offset correct. All I got was a blank stare..... I still think it could be done. However I can't find a 17mm nut (jam or regular) in greater Cedar Rapids - So I'm just going to use 14mm nuts and a threaded rod. Hope this helps.

Comment

Actually just placed a 18mm socket over my tbar and must be that size for GS1000 and katana.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Ill be suprised there bigger than 37mm. Thats Katana size and GS1000's are only 36mm.
                              The GS1000 has 37mm forks.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X