need help lowering a 1980 gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help lowering a 1980 gs550

I have a 1980 GS550L. I am shorter and can barley touch the ground while sitting on the bike. Looking for a way to lower the back end. I know there are rear shock kits that move the shocks to a lower position but I have not been able to find them for my bike. Does anybody know where I can find them or know of a shorter shock that will work on my bike? Thanks.

Shorter shocks.
    Oh, and welcome to the board!
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Put your bike on the center stand so the shocks are fully extended. Measure the shocks bolt-bolt. How long are they? (Stock was just under 12.5" I think).

Comment

Hi Mr. wsh1932,

Yes, shorter rear shocks and slide the fork tubes up higher in the triple tree clamps. Try to keep the lowering the same on the front and back or it will adversely affect the handling. If you lower too much you will lose ground clearance and start scraping things in the corners. You can also cut down your seat. Here's an article on a helpful website: Lowering Your Bike

Let me dump a TON of information on you (click the links below) and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these issues must be addressed in order to have a safe and reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

same trouble

I no what you mean I have a 81 750 EX and I would love to lower it 3-4 inchs as well ,haveing a hard time findingadjustable shocks . But as Duncan would say a smaller wheel and
          tire (dont forget to increase your sprocket size) will drop it alot

Comment

3-4 inches is a lot. Check Ebay, Not Suzuki, but Harley makes a 10" shock for the sportster, will fit your 550 but you will need bushings as the Harley shocks use a larger bolt size. Might be a more affordable option. But as mentioned before, try to lower front and rear similar amounts.

Comment

MDI makes one around 11 inch, not the most comfortable ride but ok. Price is right. terrylee

Comment

Working...
              X