83 GS850GD: your experienced opinion on shocks, tires, etc for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS850GD: your experienced opinion on shocks, tires, etc for me

I want rear shocks, front springs, new tires, braided brake lines, new grips (for now)
    I'm interested in what experienced riders are using and have been using, and what your respective opinions are.

-I'm a new rider (started end of summer)
    -I weigh 135-140lbs
    -vetter fairing, rear luggage box which can fit a helmet and a couple hoodies
    -mainly highway riding and some back road twisties
    -mostly solo cruising, sometimes with the girl
    so basically, I'm a light guy on a heavy bike.

I'm placing my orders so that when it's spring, I'll be ready to ride, with fresh parts.
    I've heard good things about Hagon rear shocks.

No clue about what to get for tires.
    I've hit the search button and haven't come up with much.

your thoughts:

-Noah

I just put Hagons on my 650, brutal ride.
    Sent them back for softer springs, the guy was very helpful, no the sag is about right, but there is still too much impact on every bump.
    For hundreds of dollars I would expect a comfortable ride.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The search feature will give you days of reading on all your wants. On my 850 the Avon roadriders are fantastic tires, give is supper grip and great in the rain. For the front springs it's simple 'Progressive'. I put a new set of RedWings on my bike, they seem to do fine for both one or two.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        I put a new set of RedWings on my bike, they seem to do fine for both one or two.
        Where can you get RedWings?
        I thought they were long gone.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Popular tires include the Shinko 230 Tour Commander.

Have not heard any long-term reports to see how long they last, but initial reports are pretty good.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought a new '83 850G. The stock Mag Mopus tires were pretty horrible.

Mine was black and red, and not bad looking as I recall, but I don't have any decent pictures of it. Have any of yours to post?

I have Hagons on two bikes, they are petty OK. It is easy to order too much spring though, which I have also done with Progressives last time.

I think maybe I prefer progressive a bit.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have basically the same bike as you, and weigh about 155 lbs. Here is what I got:

Rear Shocks - Ikon #7610-1418, phone #(415) 738-9441 If you don't tell them your weight, they will call and ask so they can send you the correct outer springs. In the $375 range for a pair.

Front fork springs - Progressive #11-1107, with 10 weight fork oil (for you, maybe 5 weight if they make it). About $75.

Tires - Avon Roadriders. Very affordable, about $175 from Dennis Kirk shipped, but the Shinkos (sp?) go for even less.

Braided brake lines - Paragons, they make them up specifically for your (our) model. Some will say to build your own lines from scratch, but I'm lazy. 5 years ago, a set of front and rear lines cost $155.

Grips - Bikemaster foam grips, 140MM, part # 17-0570. About $20 at Partshark.

If you ride on the highway a lot, might want to consider a Throttle Rocker, kind of like a speed control, but uses the weight of your hand to maintain pressure instead of tiring out your wrist with twisting action. Easily removable when you're in the city, about as easy as taking off a pair of sunglasses.

Comment

thank you for the great responses and input.
                I'm open to more opinions and suggestions. Great info

Comment

Originally posted by ArtByScars View Post
                  thank you for the great responses and input.
                  I'm open to more opinions and suggestions. Great info
                  Have you considered checking the archives? Tires, fork springs, shocks = some of the most common threads here.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    I bought a new '83 850G. The stock Mag Mopus tires were pretty horrible.

Mine was black and red, and not bad looking as I recall, but I don't have any decent pictures of it. Have any of yours to post?

I have Hagons on two bikes, they are petty OK. It is easy to order too much spring though, which I have also done with Progressives last time.

I think maybe I prefer progressive a bit.
                    I tried uploading pics and an avatar and it won't let me.

I'm thinking about those Ikon shocks, to have adjustable dampening (i constantly have different loads whether myself riding, traveling w/ extra gear, or a passenger), the roadriders look good and have mixed reviews, some say excellent grip, some say a little slip in corners, some say over 10kmi treadlife, some say poor tread life.
                    who's running shinkos?
                    I've got the spitfires on there now, they served me well the end of the summer, but i definitely want something that handles great, has super grip, and wears well.

Comment

ArtbyScars, I'll let the others with more GS experience comment on schocks, brakes, etc.

I can, however, vouch for the Avons. I've had a set on my 2008 Thruxton since last year and can tell there are the single best mod I've done to the bike. The Roadriders are WAY better than the Metzeler Lasertechs they replaced. In Luxembourg it rains. It rains even when it's not supposed to - the Avons grip well wet or dry (and my Thrux gets pushed pretty hard on corners).

Comment

I weigh 164lbs, I've got Progressive shocks on mine, the dampening is adjustable, just like the original shocks. For just me, without a touring load or having a pillion on, they're set to the second notch from the softest setting. My fork springs came from a '79-'79 750L fork tube set I got. I'm not sure what they are, they resemble Progressives, and they're just right with no air pressure in the forks even with the fairing. I buy Pirelli Scorpion Trails, 10% dirt, off road, 90% street riding, I get about 10k mi on the rear and double that on the front. they stick and corner well, no matter what the weather.

Comment

DPage, thanks for the in depth response, part numbers and all...
                          Dan, you sold me on the Avons.

My problem is I am in CA and my bike is in NY, so I'm trying to order stuff to get shipped to my garage so, come spring, I've got all my new parts right there waiting to be installed
                          I'm not sure on my tire sizes, I think the front is 100/90/19 but not sure if the rear is 16 or 17 ...anyone know off hand for 83 GS850GD?

(also *off topic* what does the "D" stand for? I see a lot of "G" models but have yet to see another GD...?)

Comment

On my '82 850G, the tire sizes are front - 100/90V-19 (19" rim), rear - 130/90V-17 (17" rim). Should be the same sizes for your '83.

The D refers to the model year. Mine is a GS 850GZ, "Z" meaning 1982. Yours is a GS 850GD, the "D" meaning 1983. Somewhere on this site there is a table that corresponds all the letters with model years.

Comment

Well this is convenient... I was thinking of looking for some SS lines for my 850G. I get back from vacation, see this thread. Ordered a set from paragon.

Hopefully be here soon to replace the I'm-not-sure-how-old rubber lines that are one the bike now.

Comment

Working...
                              X