83 GS850GD: your experienced opinion on shocks, tires, etc for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mr. ArtByScars,

On the GS Resources Homepage you will find links to a great deal of information, like the Model Information page. You'll find a lot of general specs on THIS PAGE of my little website. There's a lot of other handy stuff there on my little website, especially for the GS850, if you'll take the time to click on the links are read a little bit. I've been collecting and sharing information for years. Please help yourself.

I put the EMGO/MDI shocks on my bike. They are pretty stiff but better than the 30 year old worn out stock shocks. You'll need to come up with better bushings for them as the ones included are made of foam rubber and don't last very long. They are inexpensive and not very adjustable. For a better ride you'll have to spend more money on the Progressive 412 series shock or another name brand. See the READ ME page on my little website for a list of favorites.

I put Progressive springs in my forks with new 10wt fork oil along with new fork seals. It stiffened up the front end quite a bit too. I don't have to use air preload in the forks any more and the new springs improved the handling. The front end doesn't dive severely when applying the brakes any more. My bike used to ride like a '67 Caddy, but no more. It's very "taut".

I recently installed a pair of OURY grips and they are much better than the old, hard stock grips. They cut down on some vibration and are more comfortable.

It seems I have not given you my usual introduction to the site. My apologies. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by ArtByScars View Post
      My problem is I am in CA and my bike is in NY, so I'm trying to order stuff to get shipped to my garage so, come spring, I've got all my new parts right there waiting to be installed
      FYI...spring arrived yesterday...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        FYI...spring arrived yesterday...
        do you see anything spring about this picture of my roomate in front of my house yesterday (when spring arrived..?)

Comment

Avon riders:
          heard/read a lot about the road riders sidewalls cracking... is this your experience as well, and if so/not, how many mile have you got on the tires?

leaning towards Shinko 230's.
          -Noah

Comment

a good tire to consider, which it seems many like are the bridgestone battlax bt 45's. I love em as do many. ive pushed my gs500 pretty hard in the pouring rain and even during a 65 mph crosswind.....that was a hoot. (if not slightly insane) ill be purchsing a set for my 650 in a bit.

Comment

I have the Avons and am getting around 5 - 6 K per rear tire and going two rears for one front tire. The rears get bit loud when heeled over towards the end of the tread life but handle great all the way down to the wear bars. I have not had any cracking issues but usually wear them out in a year or slightly longer. My guess is I have approx 22K on Avons so far with no cracking issues. Unless something better comes out I will keep running them, they have a slightly "pointier" profile than most tires and really seem to lighten up the handling. I am not sure how the Shinkos wear but am getting approx 12K out of $ 280.00 worth of tires changing them myself.
              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

just got a set of Shinko 230s and Progressive fork springs for < $200 shipped

now for those rear shocks... $$$$$$!

Comment

Working...
                X