Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G 83 wider rims

Hey guys,
    I am considering changing my GS1100 83 to a wider rim. Its a shaftie, but i'm not sure how to go about this, and if its even possible.
    I dont want to change the rear swingarm, unless there is an easy swap......

Can anyone give me some light on this topic.
    I've searched for a few days all over the place but cant find anything.

Cheers.

The reason you can't find anything is because there isn't anyting.

About the only way you are going to manage a wider wheel is to have one custom made.
    Then you will have to arrange a custom swingarm, but you are limited there because the driveshaft goes through the swingarm.

How wide are you wanting to go, and why?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok looks like im not going to do this! hahah....
      Nice and quick answer.

I was told that the handling on these bike was terrible, and it was due to the rim being pretty thin....and they dont make decent tyres for the current size currently.

I have not confirmed any of this...

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post

I was told that the handling on these bike was terrible, and it was due to the rim being pretty thin....and they dont make decent tyres for the current size currently.
        Who ever told you this is an idiot. Shame on you for listening.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Somebody told you wrong. Good tires, shocks and fork springs make for a comfortable, neutral ride that easily handles well enough to scrape hardware at will. Adding wider tires will just mess this up. However, it is a 30 year old design that's approaching 600 pounds. It will never compare to a modern bike. Far more important is your riding skill. Many members here make sport of embarrassing local squids.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

hahah yes shame on me for real ! I'm somewhat gullable. Thanks for clearing it up guys. I actually like the stock rims too. got a bit of character.

Comment

Yeah, GS shafties sure do handle like crap...

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Awesome picture man! wooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo

now im gettin excited

Comment

Bigger tires have never improved the handling of a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post

Whoever told you this has obviously not tried to keep up with a skilled rider on a good GS in twisties.
                    Sure modern bikes are faster in corners... Not many riders outside of real racers can go fast enough to know the difference.
                    Out running squids on newer faster machines is fun and easy, almost all of the time. So much fun when they see it's a gray haired fat guy passing them on the inside riding a thirty year old machine with skinny tires.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The phat tire craze is all about looks. Look at the tires and rims they're using for race bikes. Those are the optimal sizes for performance. It is also very bike specific as in size, weight, and frame geometry. The size and profile of the tire has to work with the bike to provide the right turning radii at lean angles to balance the weight. Putting on wider tires, and or rims, can drastically effect it, and not neccessarily for the better. In general, putting wider, lower profile tires on our bikes will increase the turning radii when leaning over and the farther you lean the less it wants to turn and the more it wants to fall. You end up having to countersteer alot to keep the bike from falling as the tires are not generating enough turn radius to balance the weight. You can offset this by going to a smaller diameter tire, but then you loose ground clearence and loose maximum turning capability because you can't lean the bike over as far.

Changing tire sizes can cure some handling ills. But changing them for looks or for mis-perceived traction improvements almost always makes things worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X