GS750E (1978?) forks onto GS750B (1977)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E (1978?) forks onto GS750B (1977)

Im hoping to transplant the forks from my donor 750E (1978?) onto my 750B (1977).

I was wondering if anyone knows first hand if the triple tree from the 750E will fit up to the 750B without any issues?? Both had the ball race bearings and I have a new set of tapers for the conversion.

The reason I want to convert them to the 750E is because the 750E has larger staunchions than the 750B, plus the donor bike forks are in much better condition than my 750B's forks as I recently discovered that the triple tree is warped, the left staunchion is bent 3.9mm, has loads of internal wear, worn springs etc.

The donor forks are in good condition, springs are great, and they work very nicely!

Thanks everyone!
    Regards,
    Andy
    Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Stanchion tube diameter should be the same between the two forks. Main difference is the brake lugs on the fork lowers and maybe some difference in the triple clamps (the part numbers are different). I think you should be fine if you swap everything as an assembly.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Stanchion tube diameter should be the same between the two forks. Main difference is the brake lugs on the fork lowers and maybe some difference in the triple clamps (the part numbers are different). I think you should be fine if you swap everything as an assembly.
      Hi Ed, yes I forgot to mention that I have the complete setup, brakes, wheel, axle, speedo drive, triple tree

I have measured the staunchion tubes and my GS750B (1977) has the 35mm fork staunchions and the GS750E (1978??) has 37mm staunchions.

My main concern was the steering pivot on the triple tree really, as the rest is complete from the donor bike.
      Regards,
      Andy
      Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
      Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
        Hi Ed, yes I forgot to mention that I have the complete setup, brakes, wheel, axle, speedo drive, triple tree

I have measured the staunchion tubes and my GS750B (1977) has the 35mm fork staunchions and the GS750E (1978??) has 37mm staunchions.

My main concern was the steering pivot on the triple tree really, as the rest is complete from the donor bike.
        The first generation GS750 came with 35mm forks. Those 37mm forks must have came from a larger GS bike - or maybe a 3rd generation 750.

Edit: corrected post with info about 3rd gen forks.
        Last edited by Nessism; 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

37mm, they are probably off an 850 or 1000, probably about 1 " longer . The ign switch mounting is different I believe too

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            37mm, they are probably off an 850 or 1000, probably about 1 " longer . The ign switch mounting is different I believe too
            The instruments were shot but they had the fuel guage and the different type of gear indicator to my 750B.

The key was mounted in a hole on the front (headlight side) of the triple tree.

I remember speaking to an ex-suzuki dealer a few years back and he said to me to get the 750E for fork transplant because they had larger and stronger staunchions so now I am just confused....

Thats why I asked the questions in here, the dedicated GS forum, because I figured that someone out there in the big Wide World Web would have a standard bike from new, and know for fact lol but all it has done is baffle my brains (whats left of em)
            Regards,
            Andy
            Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

It looks like your donor bike is a GS750ED from 1983. It had 37mm forks on it and going by your other thread about the 17" rear wheel this also fits the puzzle. How about a picture of the bike and engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                It looks like your donor bike is a GS750ED from 1983. It had 37mm forks on it and going by your other thread about the 17" rear wheel this also fits the puzzle. How about a picture of the bike and engine.
                Hey Don, long time no see I lost my last 2 log-ins so I had to get another (this is the 3rd time).

Well I do have a picture but it is on my mobile phone. My computer died a few weeks back and I have not been able to setup everything I need to get my photos off my phone yet :'(

The donor's compliance plate was damaged beyond reading, I was extremely suspicious when I went to look at the bike and told him I would come back the next day, then I went and spoke to local police with engine and frame numbers, its not on their register so I am not worried now and bought it home with me.

The frame has rusted and I have already stripped the front end from it but I can get pics of the donk. I just went and dropped the exhaust and it is the 8 valve motor.
                It says GS750E-7070** as the frame number and GS750-967** on the engine number.

It definitely has the 37mm forks too as I just re-measured them too
                Regards,
                Andy
                Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

I forgot about the 3rd generation 750 have 37mm forks - the first two had 35mm fork tubes. The 3rd gen bikes had anti-dive on them so that's a tip off, they also use a 16" wheel. If the donor bike doesn't have anti dive than the forks are from some other bike. No worry what bike they came from just as long as they fit. I'd measure the overall length and go from there.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    I forgot about the 3rd generation 750 have 37mm forks - the first two had 35mm fork tubes. The 3rd gen bikes had anti-dive on them so that's a tip off, they also use a 16" wheel. If the donor bike doesn't have anti dive than the forks are from some other bike. No worry what bike they came from just as long as they fit. I'd measure the overall length and go from there.

Thanks Ed I think I will just measure and compare the length to my 750B forks.

The main problem that I am having with owning an older bike here in Australia, is that the local bike shoppes do NOT want to assist unless they have the specific model number etc, and I have previously had major dramas as they require items to be paid in full before they will order, and because they are special order they will NOT give a refund if they are wrong.........

I have brake master cylinder kits, disc caliper kits, and loads of other bits laying around (stored nicely) because they were ordered to suit my '77 750B and upon ripping things apart I soon discovered they were WRONG.....
                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Andrew, I noticed that your GS750B has twin front discs (rotors) and calipers. This was not standard on the '77 model. So it looks like someone has changed these before. The GS750B models only had a single disc and caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                        Andrew, I noticed that your GS750B has twin front discs (rotors) and calipers. This was not standard on the '77 model. So it looks like someone has changed these before. The GS750B models only had a single disc and caliper.
                        lol yes, thats correct Don We had this discussion a few years ago I believe the twin discs came from either GT or GS but I had some mega issues with ordering brake components (seals etc) because of the local bike shoppes not wanting to assist for non standard stuff :'( .
                        Regards,
                        Andy
                        Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

It is GS750LN (1979)

Ok, today I wake up and troll through squillions of pages on the net, and in real life text.

I see a bike in my heritage racer book and I look at it further....
                          Its a GS750LN from 1979, and this is identical to what my parts bike is I looked on the microfish at bike bandit and confirmed it has the same instrument panel etc

Continental bike tyres says this should have 100/90/19 front and 130/90/17 rear

I am about to go and ask a mate to measure his 79LN and take some photos for me of the forks etc to double confirm it in real life, but I am now certain that this is the bike!
                          Regards,
                          Andy
                          Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Re: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=172963

Another Aussie with issues identifying forks on a GS750(E). Mine is complianced 01/1978, but is a mag-wheeled with twin discs so I assume its an "E":

I'm trying to order a Tarozzi fork brace and according to the website (http://www.tarozzipaolo.com/inglese/stabiliz.htm) the '77 GS750 has 37mm tubes and the '79+ GS750 has 35mm tubes. Mine has 35mm tubes. Is mine correct and the Tarozzi website wrong?
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Nice looking bike there OzJavelin

Ok, from what I have researched, and my fork tube comparison chart it looks to me like yours is the GS-750EC

In Australia, the compliance tag date from that era does not mean the actual year it was made, just the date it was complianced in Aus. Later (I think from memory that it was from 1992 onward) the compliance system was changed and they also had to list the "build date".

The following are the only 25mm forkers from the GS750 series that are on my list.

GS-750 B/C/EC (77-78)
                              GS-750 LT/LX (80-81)
                              GS-750 EX/EZ (81-82)
                              GS-750 TZ/TD (82-83

and this is the list of all GS's that had 35mm forks
                              GS-450 LD (83)
                              GS-450 LF/LG/LH/LJ (85-88)
                              GS-550 LX/ LZ (81-82)
                              GS-550 B/C/EC (77-78)
                              GS-550 LN/LT (79-80)
                              GS-550 LG (86)
                              GS-650 EX/EZ(81-82)
                              GS-650 GLX/GLZ/GLD(81-83)
                              GS-750 B/C/EC (77-78)
                              GS-750 EX/EZ (81-82)
                              GS-750 LT/LX (80-81)
                              GS-750 TZ/TD (82-83)

All these GS's are listed as 37mm forks
                              GS-500 EK/EL/EM/EN/EP/ER/ES/ET (89-96)
                              GS-500 EV/EW/EX/EY (97-00)
                              GS-550 LD/LF (83, 85)
                              GS-550 ED/ESD/ES3/ ESE/ EF/ESF/ESG (83-86)
                              GS-650 MD “Katana” (83)
                              GS-700 EF/ESF (85)
                              GS-750 ED/ESD (83)
                              GS-750 LN (79)
                              GS-750 SD “Katana” (83)
                              GS-850 GN/GT/GX/GZ (79-82)
                              GS-850 GD (83)
                              GS-1000 C/EC/N/EN/ET (78-80)
                              GS-1000GT/GLT/GX/GLX (80-81)
                              GS-1100 ET/EX/EZ (80-82)
                              GS-1100 ED/ESD (83)
                              GS-1100 GZ/GLZ (82)
                              GS-1100 LT (80)
                              GS-1150 ES3/ESE/EF/ESF/EF2/EG/ESG (83-86)

Have a look at the online microfish resources, such as bikebandit and look at things like airbox, carbys, instruments, wheels & brakes and verify if it is the same as your bike.

If your local dealer is anything like mine, they are not interested in "old" bikes and only want to get you to trade it on something "new".

Send me a private message if you need more help
                              Regards,
                              Andy
                              Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Working...
                              X