81' gs 650l fork lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81' gs 650l fork lowering

as part of an extensive full body geometry modification i need to lower the front forks of my bike by a whopping 2.5", yep thats right folks 2 and a half inches.

sliding them up in the crown is not only going to be very dangerous but also aesthetically unpleasing and impractical for my bars to still mount.

my problem that i come to you for is... the top caps of my forks are held in with a circlip that lacks any notches/holes or guides to ease removal. so aside from a highly improbable suzuki specific tool does anybody have any suggestions?

my second question regards if anyone would be able to outline the basic procedure for replacing shims, stacks and springs to complete this procedure.

i have found it outlined for many an XJ but nothing for a suzuki. i am also fairly certain it is something that could have figured out eventually but i am certainly not above any advice or having a sounding board.

thank you

Clip - use an awl or pointed probe to pop the clip out, There's an end to hook onto somewhere

As for your drastic lowering, some shorter fork tubes could be the answer. Otherwise, you'll have almost no travel to absorb bumps.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

*disaster averted* the circlip was relatively easy all i had to do was get the lady to push the top cap down while i fiddled with it. it was a four handed operation.

as for lowering: forks dismantled springs cut and shims installed... "NEXT!!"

Comment

Working...
      X