Longer vs shorter wheelbase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer vs shorter wheelbase

One swingarm is about 2" longer than stock, the other 2" shorter. Which one to go with....?

Whats wrong with stock?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

2 things are wrong with the stocker....primarily, I don't have one. Second, it won't fit an FZR600 wheel.

Comment

Whichever one fits with the Kehin carbs.
        I ride many bikes.
        Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Longer will make it more stable at speed & less likely to wheelie off the line.

Shorter will make it turn much quicker, could cause it to become "twitchy" if you go too far & cause headshake.

On a GS shorter could also put even more of your weight over the back wheel, there is enough back there already (we're already rear) so I can't see it improving handling from that perspective.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would go with the longer one. I assume you are using a larger tire, so you may have clearance issues going with the shorter swinger and the big tire

Comment

With the longer one you'll need to check chain clearance around the pivot area at full extension/compression to make sure it clears
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I understand the issues with handling...I don't think it'll be that dramatic. I was just more interested in which way you guys would go?

The longer would be easier but the bike is going to be 100lbs lighter and the twitchy/wheely thing kind of appealed to me.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                  I understand the issues with handling...I don't think it'll be that dramatic. I was just more interested in which way you guys would go?

The longer would be easier but the bike is going to be 100lbs lighter and the twitchy/wheely thing kind of appealed to me.

If that is the case you answered your own question.
                  Not that big a deal to swap em anyway is it?

Comment

The short swingarm will be more difficult because of bearing size, but I like the idea of the shorter one. Mostly because the longer one will slow down handling.

The longer one just needs the bearing tube from the stock GS arm slipped in and it works.

Basically easy = not quite what I want but what I want = hard. So I thought I'd just reach out for some unbiased opinions.

Comment

Well I am lazy adn assume as with most handling response issues, that the rider will adjust. After all the range is not much different than the extremes of chain adjustment.

Comment

I did learn something...the kat swingarm (the longer one) will be easier because the baearing tubes swap, but it's wider at the pivot. New problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X