Interesting suspension ideas...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting suspension ideas...?

Running an FZR600 swingarm and Kat 750 rolling assembly. I need a suspension, though. Original idea was to run the FZR suspension and I may still do that but I want to try and conjure up something interesting.

I've thought about bracing the hell out of the swingarm and running a CR250R shock on one side.

I've thought about the inverted link suspension like Ducatis ( used this on my single side swingarm TL1000S).

I've thought about a puller link like on the tuber Buells.

Then there's the same ol same ol dual shocks.

What do you guys think?

wow...considering how many seem to chime in when people don't want outside opinions I figured for sure I would have gotten a ton of hits here lol

Comment

just interested in seeing the way it turns out

Comment

What about some Bilstein 5100's or Black hawks?

Black hawks
        • Monotube gas pressure construction
        • One piece 6061 extruded aluminum body with hard anodized finish
        • Patented Radial Bypass Damping ™ technology
        • Incremental Flow Metering Valves™ (IFMV) with 9 adjustable settings
        • 30% faster heat dissipation
        • Up to 100 degrees cooler peak operating temperature
        • 10% - 25% lighter than similar welded bypass steel shocks
        • 1-1/8" OD hard chromium plated piston rod
        • 3" hard anodized piston with high flow ports
        • Massive 4-1/2" x 12" 6061-T6 aluminum reservoir housing with patented anti-cavitation valve (ACV)
        Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

At the moment I'm leaning toward welding an a-frame to the swingarm and mounting the shock against the backbone a la 1982~ish XS400's/Viragos. I got to do some math the get the angle right to make sure my shock is see similar pressures as it was designed for, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
            What about some Bilstein 5100's or Black hawks?

Black hawks

yay $3000 worth of truck shocks on my leftovers bike! lol

Comment

Camburg long travel kit?

BTW, you said suspension idea's and I know suspension so I'll give you idea's but they'll cost you $$$$$$$ to even figure out how to make it work

This company can build you custom suspension, I've used them for race bikes and my desert trucks.

Haha $3g suspension is totally worth it on your bike!
              Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

In all seriousness this is where I shine. I adjust and calculate suspension for MX for myself when I rode and for people who still race.

What kind of riding are you planning? You can do with a single pivot design but your main concern on a motorcycle if you have to get on the brakes is brake jack.

I know the swingarm you have is a monoshock with an H shape but are you trying to match suspension to work with the existing mounts?

Heres what should work:

Rear Paralever
                Rear monolever
                and Monoshock, should be able to have some room with the type of shock you'd use since its pivots are almost below the arms and rotates freely. (Personal choice for me here). Its different than older style mono.

All BMW type are nice.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

This is what I was thinking with the a-frame and tying the shock to the backbone:

I thought about some BMW suspensions...that's why I wanted to do the single side shock thing, but I didn't know if the swingarm would be up for it. I can't find good examples of their paralever suspensions. It looks like there's no links or levers...just a frame-to-swingarm shock. Is that right?

Your link didn't work for me.

Comment

An idea to ponder, ranger...I have access to a CR250R rear shock...not sure what year. It's Showa, has compression and rebound adjustments and the obvious preload. It's 17" mount to mount. It looks like an Ohlins except the giant "Showa" sticker. I'd like to find a way to use it.

Any suggestions as to how?

Comment

My preferance

Monoshock with new H swing arms

As you can see the pivot point and all linkage is below the arms and the mount point is to a brace on the frame off the top tube where they bend down. This choice here is different than the older mono shocks which sit ontop of the swing arm thus this should allow you to use the CR250 dirt bike shock.

Now for 17" you may need to change the angle of the shock or move the top mount.

You COULD also build a floating shock, build a link going straight up at a 90 deg or so angle and mount the shock like some DH mountain bikes or a full floating with the linkage at the top, obviously you wouldn't have the seat tube but you get the idea.

Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

The mountain bike suspension looks cool...I'd be worried about side flex with pivots like that (without some mill work, anyway).

I'm either going to go with what's on the norton pictured or do the typical linked suspension. I've got all the standard FZR stuff...the rocker and links, anyway...and I'm using a Katana shock (a little more adjustable and it's a heavier spring than the FZR piece).

If I do the unlinked thing I can use the CR shock, but it's spring is pretty weak so I don't know how well that would work anyway. I mostly liked bracing it straight from the frame to the swingarm because it put the shock on display...the linked setup hides the shock in the swingarm. If I get to graft the late model GSXR1000 exhaust it'll hide it all together.

Comment

You shouldn't have to worry about side flex too much.

If you're going for it to be visible then thats a different story, I was basing mine off of performance and how the bike handles especially when cornered. The CR shock is extremely weak, the bike its built for is probably 150lbs if not more lighter than the set up you'll have plus its designed for a plusher ride using full travel.

I would recommend you go to a KTM dealership if you can find one and check out their SuperMoto bikes or Enduro's equipped with a Rally kit, they have a great set up.

Comment

That is my concern about the CR shock...as a shock it's awesome, but it's sprung for an entirely different thing.

The link, though, might be visible enough for me...the FZR shock link keep the shock really high and with the Katana shock's length I'll be able to run a GSXR shock later for the "bling" factor.

Comment

Okay I think I'm pretty well settled...I'm going to do a suspension like the Norton pictured earlier. I don't have the room to do the lever link suspensions...the swingarm and frame won't really cooperate with it and I would have to find a different swingarm to pull it off (the FZR shock was physically much smaller).

Only other option...and one I'm pondering...is using one shock from a stock mount to the swingarm. I just wonder if the swingarm would be up to that or if flex would be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X