What have I done to my brakes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    . BTW the springs pull the shoes closer together, they don't push them apart.
    Quite correct, Don.

I was thinking about the spreading of brake pads, knowing that we were talking about shoes.

What I meant was "the springs act to release the brakes". Other than that, was my memory somewhat correct?
    Do you still tighten the adjuster to take up all the slack, then back off to the last 'notch'?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Quite correct, Don.

I was thinking about the spreading of brake pads, knowing that we were talking about shoes.

What I meant was "the springs act to release the brakes". Other than that, was my memory somewhat correct?
      Do you still tighten the adjuster to take up all the slack, then back off to the last 'notch'?

Don't worry Steve you are only about 1% senile and that is much better than me, I'm down to about 20% at the present time and climbing (falling).

The only reason I know a bit about it is that I have a drum brake on my rear. Otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you trying to recall information from a bygone era.

I adjust the knob on the threaded rod until the brake foot pedal applies the braking effort that suits my riding style, i.e. what feels comfortable. Usually I like the pedal to go dowm about an inch before I apply pressure to the back brake, others will differ.

Comment

Working...
      X