Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear suspension travel

Guys,

I will be installing a custom rear fender on my project '82 GS1100GL (with a solo seat) and wanted to know what kind of travel I can expect with the MDI 32-1151 shocks I installed. They are 11", rated at 200kgs/440lbs. Running them at the highest preload setting.

The idea of course is to keep the new fender as close as possible to the tire with no rubbing.

80% solo riding (200lbs), 20% two up (300lbs) (there will be a removable passenger pad).

Yes, I will be lowering the front about 1" too .

Thanks!

Andres

dont know if this helps, but the manual should list the shock stroke. If you are going to reduce the length, how much have you reduced the stroke? The spring rate should go up in proportion to the decrease in stroke to avoid bottoming out.

Of course that will make the ride harsher

Comment

Service manual says "Rear Wheel Travel" is 109mm (4.3in).
      The new shocks are 2.2" shorter than the originals, so I guess the new Wheel Travel is now 2.1", right? Hopefully they are hard enough not to bottom out.

Comment

Originally posted by scaylabs View Post
        Service manual says "Rear Wheel Travel" is 109mm (4.3in).
        The new shocks are 2.2" shorter than the originals, so I guess the new Wheel Travel is now 2.1", right? Hopefully they are hard enough not to bottom out.
        Not necessarily; travel and length are really independent. Sure a long travel requires a long shock, but it is not clear that going from 13" down to 11" reduced your travel in 1/2.

Comment

Gotcha, I'll keep looking into it. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X