Gsxr conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsxr conversion

Hi I'm new to the forum here and I own a 1982 GS1100E. I'm having trouble finding a good thread on converting the stock gs front forks and trees to a gsxr front end. I heard you can use 1995 and older 750 front forks as well as a 1998 gsxr 1100 set. If someone could help give me some good information on this conversion I would greatly appreciate it.

You can use almost any fork up to the late 90's with only some modification.

The GSX and GSXR triple trees bolt right in, but Bandits do not. Some GSXR forks are much shorter, GS forks are about 30.5" top to center axle
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Alpine_95,

Yes, new front ends happen here all the time. I've never done it but let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check this site out. It gives a good starting point.

Also, I have seen some newer GSXR1000 forks mated with CBR929 triples.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          You can use almost any fork up to the late 90's with only some modification.

The GSX and GSXR triple trees bolt right in, but Bandits do not. Some GSXR forks are much shorter, GS forks are about 30.5" top to center axle
          What would those modifications be?

Comment

I'm swapping in a 750 Katana (circa 1992) Fork on my 79 1000

The steering stop set up are completely different

I had to chop off the large boss on the steering stem, cut back the left stop, then drilled a hole in the right triple to add a bolt as the right stop

All stuff you can do with a drill, a cut off wheel and a bit

The bearings and triple stem length are all the same, so it bolted right up. I just couldn't turn it from side to side before I started chopping.

I know from oldskoolsuzuki that they claim the W year GSXR fork is the easiest swap. The USD forks are too short and need more mods
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

you can check out my 83 1100 postings it will give you some insight

Comment

I have a 2008 750 GSXR front in an 83 GS1100E. Did the conversion and put the thread on here.Just search my user name.

Ken

Comment

Onto the subject of GSXR conversion......Does this info apply to the 450 owners out there?
                  When you guys say late 90s.....What year does it stop at? 93? Just trying to get info on doing this conversion to my 450s.......Our suspension is very sloppy.

Comment

Just buy my 750.... work is already done!

You'e going to struggle with the rear end on the 450 I would think... not enough room to get a radial tire in there & it'll be some work to get a different swingarm in there due to pivot width. Just my personal opinion....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I used a 90 GSXR1100 front suspension with stock triples. It lowered the bnike ALOT! Still have about 8" of clearance under my exhaust. Used rims of a 89 GSXR750 along with the axle of the same bike and a 2000 Bandit speedo drive. Front brakes are off a 90 GSXR1100 too. Front was a pretty simple job. Hardest part was welding new stops on the frame. Hope this answered some questions for ya.

Comment

I have a 83 GS1100ESD and have done the conversion. Take a look at the link below with info on my build. Good Luck!

Comment

Salty_monk offer is considered....But also considered...You in Ca...:-( Humm.... I've searched but It looks like I might be one of the few to do this on a 450....Yes yes yes....I know I should've started with a 750..... There were just none around. When I saw my bike I just knew I had to get her. I guess I got quite alot of work to do. :-(

Comment

Just gotta dig deep with the search feature. All the info o do the conversion is here on the site. I used a 1993 GSXR 750 front end with no modifications other than swapping the head bearings. I've got another front end set aside for my 1100 also. The swap is well worth it!
                            Good Luck, and welcome to GSR!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X