brake rotor competabilety on a 78 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake rotor competabilety on a 78 gs750

Hello to everyone, Its bean a few years since i posted here(and my user id got deleted), but i finally got around to working on my 78 gs750e. i got a few questions regarding the brakes on our bikes:-)
    i need to replace my rear rotor as its warped horably. i noticed that the later model GS's have a x-drilled/slotted rotors, would those work on the earlier model?
    same thing goes for the front. i do have the aluminum wheels with dual rotors up front.
    also what are people doing for upgrading the front brakes to something more effective?
    Thanks in advanced :-)

Just replace the rotors(if you must) with same year rotors and rebuild your current system (master cylinders and calipers). Add some stainless lines and you'll have good reliable brakes at minimum cost.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

the reason why I'm asking is because im having problems finding a good used rear rotor for a 78.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
        the reason why I'm asking is because im having problems finding a good used rear rotor for a 78.

See em on ebay all the time. If not there then post a note in the "wanted" section of this board. Chances are you'll find one within an hour.
        I can say for sure but I'd bet most any GS prior to 80 would be the same.
        Anyone?

sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Rear rotors on the early 750s are the same as the front rotor on the single disc 750 give or take a mm of diameter. So you can expand your search a bit.
          If all else fails once I get my new garage unpacked in the next few days I'm sure I have one or ten laying around.

Tck

Comment

let me know what you got:-) i would rather purchase it from someone from here then ebay

Comment

If Josh doesn't have one (I'm sure he does) I have one.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X