bleeding front brakes after install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bleeding front brakes after install

I have an 81 GS 750L and have recently put on a used set of front brakes. I had to manually push in the pistons with a c clamp to get them on the rotors. What is the process to rebuild the brake pressure? I topped off the master cylinder but I'm not able to get the brake pressure back. when I squeeze the handle there is no pressure.

If you had brake pressure before you installed the pads, you can regain the pressure without bleeding by pumping the brake handle. If you've replaced the calipers themselves and/or broken apart the hydraulic lines you need to bleed the master cylinder first, then the splitter, then the individual calipers.

Anytime you install new brake pads the pistons have to be compressed into their bore to make room for the new pads to fit at the rotors.

Comment

Hi,

One of these days I'm going to pick up a MityVac. Until then, I do it the old fashioned way. Have a look at this: Bleeding the Brakes

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info I will keep trying. Nothing else seems to be working, no matter how much I squeeze the brake handle it never moves any fluid out of the master cylinder? I will try to clamp the handle down overnight to see if that works.

Comment

Hi,

There's a small return passage in the master cylinder that has to be clear. You may need to disassemble and clean it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks

I think it is the master cylinder. I took the line off the full master cylinder and I got just a drop or two of fluid while pumping the handle. There must be something caught in the master cylinder. I will be taking it apart this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Which Mityvac are people using?

I read their product descriptions, and really couldn't figure out which kit is the one to get. Also didn't see any prices listed.
              1979 GS 1000

Comment

I've got a MV8000...they seem to run about $28-32 in the US. Has a guage, but I don't think the guage really adds anything to bleeding bike brakes, so maybe one of their cheaper kits would be just as useful.

Comment

The gauge is useful to check for leaks. It will show you if it can hold the vacuum or not.
                  I used a plastic MV for a while, but the cheap plastic gauge broke off, which is apparently a common occurrence. Purchased the metal MV8500, no more issues. Plus it is rebuildable. The metal pump from Harbor Freight is also a nice unit.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    If you had brake pressure before you installed the pads, you can regain the pressure without bleeding by pumping the brake handle. If you've replaced the calipers themselves and/or broken apart the hydraulic lines you need to bleed the master cylinder first, then the splitter, then the individual calipers.

Anytime you install new brake pads the pistons have to be compressed into their bore to make room for the new pads to fit at the rotors.
                    I know how to bleed the calipers. But where are the nipples for the master cylinder and the splitter? How do you bleed them? I didn't see anything about them in Basscliff's write up.

Comment

You bleed the master cylinder by pressing in on the piston, IIRC. Yep, check this page out on Basscliff's site:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                      X