Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rear shock, blocked by exhaust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove rear shock, blocked by exhaust!

Hello folks,
    mike_of_bbg was kind enough to sell me some gently used MDI shocks and i am trying to replace my stock shocks which are shot. (shot stock shocks ) How do i remove the lower mounting point, which is right behind the exhaust on the '82 850GL? Do i have to take my exhaust off the bike, or is there some way to get around it? Perhaps i could lift the rear wheel up and clear the exhaust. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

-MBanks

unbolt the top of the shocks, pull them off the studs and the axle will be below the exh. I think this is how I did mine,

Comment

Or above the exhaust. i think the 850 has a bracket that stops it going low enough. been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by MBanks View Post
        Hello folks,
        mike_of_bbg was kind enough to sell me some gently used MDI shocks and i am trying to replace my stock shocks which are shot. (shot stock shocks ) How do i remove the lower mounting point, which is right behind the exhaust on the '82 850GL? Do i have to take my exhaust off the bike, or is there some way to get around it? Perhaps i could lift the rear wheel up and clear the exhaust. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

-MBanks
        I know when I redid my shocks the owners manual described the process in pretty good detail. It entailed removing the top nut on both sides, then raising the rear swing arm using the caliper bolt on the right side. Once raised there is a pair of holes on the forward right side of the swing arm and the frame to be lined up and a pin placed in there. Then the bottom bolt is a piece of cake.

If yours isn't like mine... Sorry, I tried.

Good luck!

Comment

Carefully put a short piece of 2x8" under the centerstand area to raise the rear end a little higher first. This gives you enough leeway to lower the swingarm far enough to get the lower bolts out. Note: you may have to raise the swingarm to slide the bolts out if you can't lower it enough. Block under the rear wheel before taking the top nuts off and sliding the top of the shocks off so the swing arm doesn't fall free. Use a 3 or 4 foot bar to lever the rear wheel up or down to clear the bottom bolts from the exhaust pipe as you remove them. Use the reverse to line up the new shocks doing the bottom bolts first. Then you have to finagle the swingarm to line up the top mounts. A helper will make it easier. Be sure to install the new rubber bushings(or what came with your used shocks) and washers properly on the top shock mounts.
          Your job may have an extra step if you have a luggage rack/sissy bar to move out of the way.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Ok folks, this is what i expected, but i'm much more confident now! Thanks for the advice, hope to have shocks swapped tonight.

Comment

Hi,

Me too. I loosen all the shock bolts, take the shocks loose from the top mounts (which is kind of a pain because I have to remove my luggage rack too), then the swingarm is free.

I put my custom made wheel lift in place.

Then slide it under the wheel to put the lower shock mounts and axle above the exhaust. This makes it easy to remove the axle to take off the wheel.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Ok folks, managed to get my shocks swapped out with a helper last night. Thanks for all the advice, these shocks are much better than the originals, even when they were in good condition. Nice to have my bum off the ground again too.

Comment

Glad you're enjoying them

Comment

Working...
                  X