Weird feeling in handle bars after installing progressive springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird feeling in handle bars after installing progressive springs

I recently replaced the steering head bearings and added progressive fork springs in my '80 GS1100E. The bike feels normal under typical riding conditions, but if I'm breaking and happen to go over bumps in the road I feel a very weird sensation in the handle bars, almost as if the steering stem head nut is loose and the whole fork assembly is moving in the head. It's a very uncomfortable feeling and I wish I could explain it better. Basically it just feels like something is loose in the forks, yet I've check everything for tightness.
    Anyone ever experience anything like this?
    Thanks

Did you tighten the steering stem nut down? Hand tight is not tight enough. Technically you need a special tool but a drift and a hammer will do the job. I'd suggest removing the tank so you don't smack it on accident. Also how much preload spacer did you install with your springs? (the PVC you're supposed to cut down to make spacers with) if you put the fork caps on easily, it's not enough spacer. Search the forum with the search function on how to properly judge your spacer/preload needs.

Comment

I believe the pre-load spacers should be 3" long (per fork) as recomended by Progressive for those 1107 springs on that bike...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Not to be smart, but is the distance the same on the triple clamp on each fork at that top? In other words are the forks exactly parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Did you tighten the steering stem nut down?
          There is a procedure for tightening everything. You cant have both upper and lower tree (fork) clamps tight before you tighten the stem.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            the procedure for thigtening everything was

1. Lower triple clamp to hold forks
            2. Steering stem nut
            3. Nut on top of upper triple (the one under the choke)
            4.Upper triple clamp
            5. Pinch bolt on steering stem

Comment

Working...
            X