REALLY dumb question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REALLY dumb question...

Being the hungover dumbass I was, I took my GS750 out for a ride mainly to fill it up with fresh gas as it still had a half tank of gas/fuel stabilizer from last summer. It's been sitting under a cover outside for about 3 weeks now and has accumulated a lot of dirt and surface rust in places I forgot to rust treat. Even the front brake rotors had some surface rust, so I hit them with a little WD-40 and a 3M abrasive pad. Only I didn't wipe down the oil before going out to ride *facepalm*

Front brakes felt spongy as a result, full grab and it only slowed down noticeably and not considerably as it usually does. Wiped down the rotors at the gas station but I was wondering if this would have glazed my brake pads, or damaged them? Lesson learned, don't go for a ride hungover!

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
    Lesson learned, don't go for a ride hungover!
    Check ! Id say spray em down with brake cleaner but that stuff will strip paint. Dont you need new pads anyway ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

nah, new pads, but I guess I can take one side off and take a quick look. Storing the bike outside, I didn't realize that even with a m/c cover it still got really dirty and I'm gonna have to go through and have to do some touch ups to paint, rust treatment, and polish and such.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
        Being the hungover dumbass I was, I took my GS750 out for a ride mainly to fill it up with fresh gas as it still had a half tank of gas/fuel stabilizer from last summer. It's been sitting under a cover outside for about 3 weeks now and has accumulated a lot of dirt and surface rust in places I forgot to rust treat. Even the front brake rotors had some surface rust, so I hit them with a little WD-40 and a 3M abrasive pad. Only I didn't wipe down the oil before going out to ride *facepalm*

Front brakes felt spongy as a result, full grab and it only slowed down noticeably and not considerably as it usually does. Wiped down the rotors at the gas station but I was wondering if this would have glazed my brake pads, or damaged them? Lesson learned, don't go for a ride hungover!
        I would never do that; you need to clean everything with brake fluid
        Last edited by posplayr; 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM.

Comment

You need to use brake kleen on the rotors and remove your pads, brake kleen and inspect

Don't ever put any oil on your brake system!

You may need to replace your pads now, depending on how much oil they absorbed

Next time you have rusty rotors, just brake hard once to scrub the rust off
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            You need to use brake kleen on the rotors and remove your pads, brake kleen and inspect

Don't ever put any oil on your brake system!

You may need to replace your pads now, depending on how much oil they absorbed

Next time you have rusty rotors, just brake hard once to scrub the rust off
            Thanks, It's been almost a year since I've been on my bike (was in Europe). I took it out for a ride and the brakes feel back to normal, I just freaked out (I rode one street to the gas station where I cleaned the rotors, didn't go very far). But I'm just ashamed that I could act like such a retard at this level of my life, to go and do something so DUMB...

Comment

my fork seals leaked onto my rotors.. I didn't notice they were leaking until my front brake was spongey.
              my brakes were not new but were far from having to be replaced due to wear.. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner after installing new seals, but never got the same response back.
              I bought new pads and dropped them in there (what's it cost $35 and takes 7 whole minutes?), and viola, brakes came back (obviously after breaking in and settling)

Now wd40 isn't like fork oil, but just get pads and clean and clean your rotors, calipers, surrounding area, etc. EVERYTHING.
              you say it was DUMB, now lets BE SAFE.
              The $$$ for new pads is worth the split second braking you may need later on in a high pressure situation.

Comment

You could, if theyre organic (which we used in the MTB Racing industry) bake them @ 315 degrees for 25 min, take sand paper and rough up the pad surface and take alcohol and wipe the rotors. After this, you just need to bed the brakes (pad to rotor) and you're good to go. I've done it 20 plus times.

I won't be responsible if you **** something up and get yourself hurt though.

Comment

Working...
                X