Front fork springs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork springs question

So did the seals on the 80 850G and found the springs to have pretty much no life left in them, figured everyone upgrades to progressive lets see what they cost. Not to bad at about $95 the set but if stock worked 30 years ago lets compare. I saw them on the local deal fiche for $15 each and though wow what a difference, after a phone call the quoted me $45 each and said they could not get them anyways.

Can you look at this and see if I am comparing apples to apples...

Boston's Premier Motorcycle & Motorsports Dealer! We Sell and Service BMW Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Motorcycles and Ariens Snowblowers Large Parts Department Located at 1098 Massachusetts Ave Arlington Ma Stop By Today!

Progressive Springs replaces part number 16 on that right?

thanks

Yep, part #16 is what you want.

As far as the apples vs oranges: the springs might have been $15 when they were last available.
    I checked a couple other sites, they don't even show up in the fiche, meaing they are no longer available.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Jared,

You can get Progressives cheaper than $95... i just bought a set for my 1100EX for around $65, plus shipping. Let me find the site I bought them from & I'll post it...

how was your ride yesterday?? did you get out
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
        Hey Jared,

You can get Progressives cheaper than $95... i just bought a set for my 1100EX for around $65, plus shipping. Let me find the site I bought them from & I'll post it...
        PowersportSuperstore.com is your first and best choice for everything aftermarket for the Powersports Industry. Buy, Smile, Ride, Repeat!

Not a very user friendly site, but the prices seem good - best to call them if you can't find items for your particular bike.

mike
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/

Not a very user friendly site, but the prices seem good - best to call them if you can't find items for your particular bike.

mike

I look up the part number on another site and put it in the search box. They have had the lowest prices on everything I have look for except tires and they will price match.

Comment

thanks for the information, never got out to ride until about 8pm last night taking the 650 home. the 850 still has a few safety things to get done, like the springs and has a brake that seems to be dragging but i the pile of parts looks like whats needed to rebuild an extra set of calipers, so will see if I can sort it out and do that from the extras or just start with a good flush of the current system and see how that does. Basically i checked in and no one really planning to make it so we wrenched most of the day again.

wow did the site suck for looking up parts or even searching... I looked it up on flatoutmotorcycles.com and then searched for the progressive shock. It was $92 at flatout and $61 at the site you gave me with free shipping, lets see how long till I get them.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
              thanks for the information, never got out to ride until about 8pm last night taking the 650 home. the 850 still has a few safety things to get done, like the springs and has a brake that seems to be dragging but i the pile of parts looks like whats needed to rebuild an extra set of calipers, so will see if I can sort it out and do that from the extras or just start with a good flush of the current system and see how that does. Basically i checked in and no one really planning to make it so we wrenched most of the day again.

wow did the site suck for looking up parts or even searching... I looked it up on flatoutmotorcycles.com and then searched for the progressive shock. It was $92 at flatout and $61 at the site you gave me with free shipping, lets see how long till I get them.
              Would you definitely post that please? I need to get new ones for mine and if they come in at close to the same price I'll use them.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

PSSS's free shipping works a lot like Amazon's - if you take the free shipping it's going to take them a few days to ship it. My chain & sprocket took two days to ship; shocks and springs took 5.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Would you definitely post that please? I need to get new ones for mine and if they come in at close to the same price I'll use them.

see post #4.

Shipping time wasn't unreasonable, but not lighting fast either... they did send an e-mail with tracking info once shipped.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Sonic springs seem to be getting good reviews these days...

The poor mans mod is to cut 3-4" off the spring & replace it with a solid spacer.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                    X