Best way to gop with my GS 1000 forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to gop with my GS 1000 forks

I rebuilt the OEM forks, and will go with them on my 1979 GS 1000 so I have a bike to ride this summer. I'm gathering information and the necessary pieces to do the GSXR conversion next winter with a GSXR front end, wheels, and brakes. I'm planning to run the GS forks without air pressure. The stock springs are like new(421 mm, top of the spec). Some suggest going with heavier Progressive springs (I weigh about 200 lbs), while others suggest cutting my stock springs and adding a PVC spacer as preload. I'd appreciate your advice, both on the GS 1000 forks, and the 1991 GSXR 1100 forks (I've read that I'll need to go with heavier rate springs in the 1100 forks). I've searched on Racetech emulators and can't find a comparison; could you possibly clarify whether I'm better off with the emulators in stock forks vs. the GSXR route, or new springs and emulators in the GSXR forks, or the best combination? Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by jknappsax; 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM.
    1979 GS 1000

Emulators are a huge improvement in the stock forks.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is it worth doing for one season?

I haven't checked prices for the emulators, and next winter I will be doing the GSXR conversion. I'm just thinking that if I'm buying emulators and springs, is my limited cash better spent buying them for the GSXR 1100 front end?. In the short term, I'm dropping in the old springs, which are well within spec, and if the handling is decent, great. If not, I think I'll cut down my springs and add longer spacers of PVC. I just wasn't sure of how viable the various options are. I do want better brakes and the ability to run radials, which is why I didn't just look for a dual-disc setup front end for the GS 1000. The other question is whether I need to go to heavier springs if not running any additional air pressure on the GS front end, or for that matter, the GSXR front end? Thanks much. And no, the gop in the thread title is a typo, not a political statement (:P
      Last edited by jknappsax; 04-12-2011, 11:41 AM.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

Bump, please!

After checking emulator and Racetech spring prices, it looks like it's too much on an inverstment for suspension I'll be replacing next winter. I'm hoping some of the suspension gurus could please give me some opinions on the choices I've outlined, or any other options anyone might think would work for the current GS 1000 front end, as well as the 1991 GSXR 1100 front end, i.e. if I'll need springs for the GSXR forks. This bike will be used for street ans sport touring, but I do love the twisties. TIA.
        Last edited by jknappsax; 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

If your GSXR front end is a "RSU" one not a USD cartridge one, the technology is very similar. You'll still either need to upgrade the springs or cut them & replace with solid to up the spring rate & fit Emulators to get what you're looking for.

The handling benefit of the RSU forks is mostly given by the radial tyre tech on the wider rim you can run & the better brakes.... They are a bit bigger diameter so less flex as well.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mine is a 1991 GSXR USD front end. I'm not planning to race, but I DO like to ride spiritedly! It seems like going to Racetech springs and emulators in a GSXR front end might be overkill for a sport-tourer, and it's a big investment for one season's use for the GS 1000 front end. I'm thinking about either changing over to Progressive springs, or cutting down the stock springs, which are in good shape, and using longer spacers. You can really go over the top if you start pondering what if! And I've been known to get a little crazed! This project started with me wanting to go with dual-discs on the 1978 GS 750 that had been in my family since it was new. There's always "an extra 250 cc would be nice" and "Better brakes and modern radials would be cool". Thanks for your advice.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Emulators are a huge improvement in the stock forks.
              I've heard good and bad about emmulators. I tried emmulators in my '82 GS1100, waste of money. Just another "wallet bait" gimmick IMO. However guys with big heavy cruiser type motorcycles did notice an improvement.

Comment

On the 650G, it's like they repaved all of the roads around here. Cracks and seams in the pavement might as well be gone. Can't feel them much at all anymore. Until the rear wheel hits them.

Comment

If you re trying to stiff'in it up some , you could go with a race tech spring, emulators and a real big improvement and is to go to a heavier oil, On my SV race bike I am running race tech 1.0 springs , race tech gold emulators, and#30 fork oil, I am 270lbs with gear and the bike is one of the best handling I have ever had.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I figure the real limiting factor in all this is the GS 1000 frame. I'm not planning on bracing the frame, so this will probably be the weakest part, and not live up to the GSXR suspension and wheels. The spring rate and #30 oil, is this in standard SV forks, or GSXR stuff?
                    1979 GS 1000

Comment

If you're just going to dump it all to run th GSXR setup then...in my opinion...don't do anything. The money you'll spend on making the GS forks "sportier" you'd be just as well to go ahead and do the GSXR swap.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                        If you're just going to dump it all to run th GSXR setup then...in my opinion...don't do anything. The money you'll spend on making the GS forks "sportier" you'd be just as well to go ahead and do the GSXR swap.
                        Might put the pvc spacers in with the stock springs to increase the preload if your stockers are sagged.

Comment

I wouldn't go any further than that.

Comment

Makes sense to me, too. Thanks for the advice.
                            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Or cut them & replace the amount you cut off with PVC pipe... That will increase the spring rate rather than just add preload.

Cut off the tightly wound end....

Nessism has a good post with pics about this somewhere.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X