No announcement yet.

Need help diagnosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First you were talking about forks, now you are talking about shocks.
    Don't change topic mid-thread, at least not until the first one is resolved.

If you are talking about REAR suspension, you will have to sit on the bike to see how much the suspension compresses to see if that much air is proper.

If you are still talking about FRONT suspension, I think 36 psi it a bit too much. Actually, ... putting 36 psi in the forks is WAY too much. Not enough to blow the seals out, but it is enough to force the lip of the seal into a tighter bond with the fork tube, giving the (temporary) illusion that the seals are fine.

Also, simply adding more spring, whether it's by adding a preload spacer to the mechanical spring or added air pressure, is not the answer to better suspension. You also need proper damping, which is where the oil comes in. If your oil level is low (or gone), the damping will be compromised and can vary greatly if the damping valve gets into the oil mid-stroke.

Overall, your best bet will be to take the forks apart, visually inspect all the wear points, replace the seals and put them back together with the proper amount of the proper viscosity oil.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry about changing subjects, I was just so excited about the possibility of my forks being up to snuff that I didn't scrutinize my posts as closely as I usually do.
      When you order seals and O-rings from a site like bike bandit or parts shark do they typically come in sets of two? In other words, if I put 1 in the quantity field, does that mean 1 set of 2 O-rings, or does it mean 1 O-ring?
      Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X